Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Induction in August?

Posted 05-10-2017 10:54
    Hi! I've recently just started an ITHS chapter at my high school; it is taking the place of the theatre club I started when I got here three years ago (the program was barely alive and mostly student-run; there have been growing pains but I've grown the program from 14 kids to nearly forty so that's why I'm dissolving our theatre club and starting ITHS). The only thing is, I may have started it too late...?

I am holding an interest meeting this afternoon and last night, upon preparing for the meeting, read that there must be three weeks in between our listing of our inductees on the website and the induction ceremony. The problem is: we are done with school in 2.5 weeks! Is it weird or "unlawful" to have our induction ceremony in August? Thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Virginia Scott
    Educator and Director
    Stanardsville VA

• 2.  RE: Induction in August?

Posted 05-10-2017 11:31
    Not at all! The director that was here before me had an induction in December and May. I think you can induct kids whenever, I just think end of the year is the most convenient.

You can also get a rush on the induction certificates if you still want to do it this year. I think it's $55 for that.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 3.  RE: Induction in August?

Posted 05-10-2017 12:38
    Absolutely not! If you don't have any seniors inducting I would recommend waiting until next year though. The rush service is available but does cost additional monies and, depending on your financial situation, may be more that you can justify spending. It's so close to the end of the year and everyone, students included, are looking to upcoming finals and the year ending. You'll probably have a better response from your kids if you are able to wait... but that rests on not having any graduating seniors inducting...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Induction in August?

Posted 05-10-2017 12:54
    Thanks for the replies, <g class="gr_ gr_16 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="16" data-gr-id="16">ya'll</g>! I do have some seniors who are graduating that would be eligible to be a Thespian but I have more juniors who are invested in the program (this is my third year and so they've been with me the whole way through). I need to read the literature a bit more closely to find the answer to this but I'm assuming that if I did the ceremony in August, I'd probably go ahead and induct the members who send back the RSVP that I'll send over the summer, and the seniors from that group of students (since we're brand spanking new and don't have any members who've done this before) will be inducting the lowerclassmen?

Virginia Scott
    Educator and Director
    Stanardsville VA

• 5.  RE: Induction in August?

Posted 05-11-2017 07:57
    Pretty sure you can have your induction ceremony whenever you want.

In our troupe, the official designation of Thespian occurs when the dues change hands; once a student pays their dues, they are a Thespian.

The induction ceremony is merely a formality and an opportunity for parents to take pictures and be proud.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 6.  RE: Induction in August?

Posted 05-11-2017 13:29
    It can take 3 weeks for the certificates to arrive, but they are inducted thespians as soon as you make payment to ITS. You can have your ceremony whenever you want. When I started at my school last year, I re-chartered a long inactive troupe. When your materials arrive from ITS they include a school chart for members to sign as well as their individual certificates. You may want to wait for your ceremony until August, but if it were me, I'd get those seniors inducted. It is a great accomplishment and they deserve the recognition, even if you have to mail them their certificates.

Jody Hanna
    Newport OR