Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  NYU wait list

Posted 03-28-2018 18:52
    Hello!
    I have a male senior who just got waitlisted for musical theatre/ theatre at NYU. Does anyone know anything about their program? Like what his chances are of getting in? Or any details you can give me about their waitlist thing? Thanks so much!

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ

• 2.  RE: NYU wait list

Posted 04-01-2018 13:54
    Hi,

One of my good friends is a Broadway dancer and has been in several shows; he is an NYU graduate.

Here is what he says:

He was a part of CAP21 while it was still a part of NYU. It is an entirely new program, now.

As for the waitlist, kids have a chance to be accepted off of it to NYU. Slots do open up since some that are accepted may choose to go somewhere else.

Those who are waitlisted should have plan B (another school; be open to learning tech since it could be a source of work; for future reference: don't fall into the trap of waiting tables so you can pay rent while waiting for that next audition; you might give up your dream). Be open to attending NYU if a slot does open up, and that is your heart's desire to go there.

Choose a school with an atmosphere that you think will best serve you as a learner. You have to be where you can do your best work.

Here is what I say:  Our daughter went to Hofstra! It was the perfect theatre fit for her. After making the Dean's List her freshman year, NYU sent her an acceptance letter and told her she should transfer there for her sophomore year on. She declined because Hofstra was where she wanted to be. She is now a professional stage manager IN NYC; one of her gigs is calling the Christmas Show at Radio City Music Hall starring the Rockettes.
         The point being is that you have to be open to all possibilities while pursuing a theatre career, especially in NYC. One of the biggest challenges is realizing the expense of living in NYC. Also, do you get stage work your freshman and sophomore years or do you have to "hone your craft" until your junior year? Some universities have those restrictions. Networking, getting internships, showing up on time, getting along with difficult people, and plain old-fashion hard work will get you work!  I hope this helped a little. Best of luck!

------------------------------
    Thomas Cole
    Bay City MI
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: NYU wait list

Posted 04-02-2018 18:57
    Thanks so much!

Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ