Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Clue

Posted 12-04-2018 09:57
    Has anyone done "Clue"?  If so pro's and con's on the show.  What did you like or dislike. and is there much of a difference between the regular version and the high school version?

------------------------------
    Charles Puetzer
    Stage manager
    Michigan City Area Schools
    Michigan City INStage manager

• 2.  RE: Clue

Posted 12-05-2018 11:16
    I apologies for not being clear on this.  I am looking at doing the play "clue" not the musical.

Charles Puetzer
    Stage manager
    Michigan City Area Schools
    Michigan City INStage manager

• 3.  RE: Clue

Posted 12-05-2018 11:27
    We performed the regular version of CLUE as a faculty play, and it was a very good choice for that.  It had quite a few parts and all except the part of the butler were nicely balanced.  The visual gags and fast pace of the show made it a fun play to do and to watch.  I do recall that the end of the play, where the scenes are rerun with some changes, can be difficult because cast members get lost in exactly where they are in the script.  But that was a problem that we overcame through rehearsals, and it wasn't nearly as much of a problem as it was when we performed Noises Off a few years later.

I do not know how the regular version differs from the school version.

--
    Brad Schmidt
    Belleville East High School Library Director
    Drama Coordinator
    Chess Coach
    618-222-3774

• 4.  RE: Clue

Posted 12-05-2018 14:10
    We are performing the play in the Spring. I've seen one high school production of it. We read scripts at the beginning of the year and students across race and gender lines are in LOVE with this show. It's a high-energy show with a lot to teach in terms of comedic timing and movement. It offers a great opportunity for the lead 6 to work as an ensemble and a variety of minor roles as well. The High School Edition is virtually the same with the omission of quite a few raunchy jokes. Cons- It is touring right now, so the The license and required materials were VERY expensive. I imagine they will be less in the next couple of years. It's also a highly technical show. 

Cheers!

Ellie McIvor-Baker
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Clue

Posted 12-06-2018 10:22
    Our high school's 2018 fall play was Clue (the HS version). The kids really enjoyed getting into their characters and the gory way that some of them died.  Difficulties were (as mentioned previously on this thread) the end where they repeat the entire action of the play in rewind/fast forward.  Our stage (and particularly backstage) area is small so we had to have the actors leave the stage and go through the audience when they had to do quick scene changes back to the dining room or main hallway.  The High School edition was still slightly 'racy' but they did change some lines like 'sex after marriage' that if you know the movie as well as I do, you notice.

Michael Popplewell
    IL