Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatrical design that flows from theme

Posted 03-28-2019 16:52
    More brain pickin' (there are so many good brains to pick here!)...currently looking for examples to illustrate to my eighth graders the concept of theatrical design that is borne of theme.  Looking for pretty overt (but beautifully executed) examples to really drive home the point to these middle schoolers.  An example that I've used: the 2011 Stratford Festival production of Twelfth Night for which the dominant scenic element was a gigantic shattered mirror that served as a backdrop for the action (i.e. the theme involves questioning identity so the the fractured mirror serves as a design metaphor).  

What are your favorite examples of this principle in action?  Photos are a definite plus.  Doesn't have to be scenic design--costume, props, light, sound, even poster design...everything's on the table.  But looking for clear thematic connections.  Bring 'em on.  Looking forward to seeing other people's work.

n5eLmTnSkS9ToHbQsclQ_stratford twelfth night mirror set.jpg

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 2.  RE: Theatrical design that flows from theme

Posted 03-29-2019 07:08
    We are doing a devised piece, Brainstorm, inspired by the neuroscience of the developing teenage brain. We used 20,000 feet of curling ribbon (only $38) to create a visual representation of the sprouting of connections that happen at this stage of development. It turned out quite stunning (I was inspired by a ribbon exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum a few years ago.) We use the colors found in an MRI brain scan and each of the teen's bedrooms is a different color as well and height representing their ages (going from a 14 year old's room to 18.) In the MRI scans blue/green represents the more mature areas of the brain, pink/red are less developed areas. Hence our color choices for each age. My students really loved this concept (though the cutting and tying all those 20 foot sections of ribbons wasn't as much fun. We did figure out several ways to streamline the process.) It is a fun show and check it out at Nick Hern Books. You can devise as much of it as you want (we did about 95% of it as original dialogue.) And we open TONIGHT!!!

Lea Marshall
    Theatre Teacher/Troupe #1429 Director
    Leon High School
    Tallahassee FL
    LeonTheatre.com

• 3.  RE: Theatrical design that flows from theme

Posted 03-29-2019 07:21
    Beautiful, Lee.  thanks for sharing.  Break legs.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 4.  RE: Theatrical design that flows from theme

Posted 03-30-2019 11:52
    Very Cool, Lea-- nice work.  Looks great.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: Theatrical design that flows from theme

Posted 03-29-2019 13:03
    I like showing the brief video Behind the Scenes with Julie Taymor. She explains her concept of The Tempest and the choices she made to support it (the stage is entirely sand, use of masks, etc.). Julie Taymor: Behind the Scenes
    YouTube remove preview
    Julie Taymor: Behind the Scenes
    1992 documentary about the work of theatre maker Julie Taymor with a particular focus on the staging of "The Tempest" in New York City. Presented by magicians Penn & Teller, it is particularly relevant to those studying Taymor and/or her 2010 film of that play.
    View this on YouTube >
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0tDiWWwcxI

Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI

• 6.  RE: Theatrical design that flows from theme

Posted 03-29-2019 19:53
    I love doing these. Here a couple from my web site:

Dog Sees God is about the Peanuts characters when they get older and are in high school, dealing with teenage issues including bullying and drugs. The theme of loss of innocence was mirrored by creating a huge page from the Sunday comics, but with the frames falling off the page:
    http://georgefledo.net/Dog%20Sees%20God.htm

The second one, An Inspector Calls, was about the isolation and lack of social responsibility shown by many upper class British families during the Edwardian period. Here the set was tilted and isolated in the center of the stage: http://georgefledo.net/Inspector%20Calls.htm

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net