Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thought Experiment from HS "Alien" production story

Posted 04-09-2019 08:57
    Thought Experiment:  Based on this story, what movie do you think would make an awesome stage production? I actually wonder if it might be a great idea for those who own the rights to films to offer up rights for school stage adaptations. I wonder what hey'd really lose, and the number of really inspired high school productions could be really fun – and maybe even revive interest in the original movie. (When was the last time I thought about 'Alien'?...and now I'm kind of interested in seeing it again. 

I would love to do an adaptation of Wes Anderson's "Rushmore".

------------------------------
    Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 2.  RE: Thought Experiment from HS "Alien" production story

Posted 04-10-2019 08:22
    Mad Max (any of them)
    2001: A Space Odyssey

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 3.  RE: Thought Experiment from HS "Alien" production story

Posted 04-10-2019 08:36
    I see your point, and there are plenty of movies my students would love to bring to the stage.  Especially since they, and my audience, are much more knowledgeable about movies than live theatre.  Ticket sales would probably rise and the students could watch the movie repeatedly to learn their lines, and....and....and....

Based on this story, what I've learned is, you don't need to bother with rights or permissions - just pick your movie and have at it!  

BUT....   

:-(

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 4.  RE: Thought Experiment from HS "Alien" production story

Posted 04-11-2019 08:08
    I'm shocked, and frankly, disappointed, that there hasn't been more in the news about the copyright issues around the recent production of "Alien." I mean, kudos to the students for pulling off what looked like a phenomenal show, but it sets a bad precedent.

Dianne Rowe
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Junior Thespian Troupe 88177
    Berry Middle School
    bit.ly/BerryDrama
    Birmingham, AL