Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Contemporary plays for Asian Indian actors?

Posted 10-04-2020 08:11
    I am seeking a (hopefully) contemporary play for my student actors of Asian Indian heritage, but as I have done some research, I haven't come up with much of anything.  Does anyone have any suggestions or places to look?  I wouldn't be opposed to something a bit more classical (an updated version of The Mahabharata, for example), but I'd prefer something that deals with more current issues and feelings for Asian Indian students.  It seems to be a hugely underrepresented demographic in theatre right now, but I am hoping to find something to work on!  Students are of high school age, if that helps at all.  Your thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated!

Karen Ruth
    Theatre Director
    Coppell High School
    185 West Parkway Blvd
    CoppellTexas
     214‑496‑6398
     kruth@coppellisd.com
     coppellisd.com/chs

OPEN RECORDS/CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and responses may be subject to Texas Open Records laws and may be disclosed to the public upon request. Please respond accordingly.

Exceptions to Texas Open Records laws are emails that may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under federal privacy laws. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.

• 2.  RE: Contemporary plays for Asian Indian actors?

Posted 10-05-2020 05:25
    Perhaps Midnight's Children?   Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children: Adapted for the Theatre by Salman Rushdie
    LibraryThing.com remove preview
    Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children: Adapted for the Theatre by Salman Rushdie
    I Agree This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
    View this on LibraryThing.com >

or Haroun and the Sea of Stories? Haroun and the Sea of Stories
    Goodreads remove preview
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories book. Read 6 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. Tim Supple's adaptations of Grimm Tales and More Grimm...
    View this on Goodreads >

------------------------------
    Korreen Ditschler
    APO AE

• 3.  RE: Contemporary plays for Asian Indian actors?

Posted 10-05-2020 12:54
    There's a brilliant contemporary play I found on New Play Exchange called Sometimes the Rain, Sometimes the Sea by Julia Izumi. It's a spin on The Little Mermaid and something I was thinking of doing with my students when we are back in-person. I know one of the notes in casting speaks to utilizing Indian actors to perform the role of Cow and/or other characters. It's written for a cast predominantly of actors of color.

Sadie Andros
    Theatre Director
    Lewes DE

• 4.  RE: Contemporary plays for Asian Indian actors?

Posted 10-05-2020 13:37
    I have not read any of his plays, but you might want to check out Rajiv Joseph and Indian American who has had plays on Broadway and Off-Broadway.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: Contemporary plays for Asian Indian actors?

Posted 10-05-2020 20:10
    Hi Karen, 

I referred your question to a theatre colleague of mine from India and here is her response:
     my favorite contemporary Indian-American playwright is Madhuri Shekar. Her play, "A Nice Indian Boy" should be appealing to high school students. It's youthful, funny, deals with important issues such as gay marriage especially in a (South Asian) society where homosexuality is a tabooed topic! I would highly recommend that play! I'm not entirely sure if "A Nice Indian Boy" has been published yet, but I can ask the playwright for permission to share the script, if required. The play has been produced quite a few times. She has other published plays - "Queen", "In Love and Warcraft", "House of Joy", etc.
    www.madhurishekar.com should have information on her. 

I hope this is helpful.

Linda Apperson
    Stage Manager and Mentor
    Milwaukie OR

• 6.  RE: Contemporary plays for Asian Indian actors?

Posted 10-06-2020 12:31
    Madhuri Shekar's plays, including "A Nice Indian Boy," are available to read on the New Play Exchange.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 7.  RE: Contemporary plays for Asian Indian actors?

Posted 10-06-2020 12:36
    A couple plays with featured East Asian characters but diverse casts, good for high school:
    "Anon(ymous)" by Naomi Iizuka (Indian American family of 3, supporting characters)
    "Mirror of Most Value: a Ms. Marvel Play" (Ms. Marvel, the lead, and her mother are both specified as Pakistani American)

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 8.  RE: Contemporary plays for Asian Indian actors?

Posted 10-06-2020 12:47
    These are all such AMAZING suggestions!  I can't wait to start reading and adding to my collection!  I have so many students of Asian Indian descent, and having shows to work on where characters are written for Asian Indian actors will mean SO MUCH to them.  Thank you!!

Karen Ruth
    Theatre Director
    Coppell High School
    185 West Parkway Blvd
    CoppellTexas
     214‑496‑6398
     kruth@coppellisd.com
     coppellisd.com/chs

OPEN RECORDS/CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and responses may be subject to Texas Open Records laws and may be disclosed to the public upon request. Please respond accordingly.

Exceptions to Texas Open Records laws are emails that may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under federal privacy laws. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.