Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Aladdin

Posted 06-06-2016 18:47

I know there are a ton of versions, so I'd love some help seeking out the best. My students would like to do a non-musical version of Aladdin for our childrens' show next year. I have 3-4 acting classes and each has its own performances, but share set/costumes/props etc. Because of the range of actor experience, I always need something new kids can learn from and experienced kids can knock out of the park. We try to be flexible enough so everyone in the class who wants to be on stage can be, meaning anywhere from 16-30 performers. We also aim our show at k-5. Any and all help welcomed!

Mark J

------------------------------
    Mark Johnson
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Farmington Hills MI

• 2.  RE: Aladdin

Posted 06-07-2016 06:04

I really like the William Glennon version of Aladdin. I was going to direct it last year but had to take an unexpected leave of absence. We even did the readthrough and my students were looking forward to it,  but alas. I really like this version. Because it really allows you to explore Middle Eastern culture and customs and my school has a high West African population. It's written in three acts and has a number of strong character . Aladdin 

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 3.  RE: Aladdin

Posted 06-07-2016 07:36

We just did a production of Aladdin & The Wonderful Lamp by Timothy Mason. It was a great version with a lot of opportunities for casting. It also has a lot of possibilities for special effects, and a really fun stage combat scene where the boys are out playing and stick fight with one another. We had close to thirty in our cast. The script & license are available at Playscripts, Inc. Let me know if you end up doing it, I have some resources such as scene breakdown, costume plot, etc that I would be more than willing to share! 

Kerry Bollenbach
    Theatre teacher/director
    Barnegat NJ

• 4.  RE: Aladdin

Posted 06-07-2016 08:57

Hello!  My beginning actors always perform a children's show for the main show.  I have performed ALADDIN by Craig Sodaro a few times and really like it.  It can be found on Eldridge Publishing.  It is pretty simple to produce and my kids always have fun with it.  It has around 35 parts but some of them could be doubled.

Laura Roller
    Gray TN

• 5.  RE: Aladdin

Posted 06-13-2016 12:00

We did the musical version from Pioneer Drama and had a lot of fun. I know they have a non-musical version as well.

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS