Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Prosthetic for Cyrano

Posted 12-10-2015 10:49

I started rehearsals yesterday for Cyrano.  Does anyone have any good suggestions for prosthetic noses?  I've looked at a few online, which look okay, but want to see if anyone has experience with them.  Or does anyone know of a way to make a good one?  I want my actor to start wearing it as soon as possible so that he can get used to the adjustment in personal space he's going to have to make, plus i want the rest of the cast to get used to it so that we can get rid of the giggles sooner rather than later.  My biggest concern is that it will bend and ruin the illusion--I have some blocking and gestures I want to incorporate using the nose and I want to make sure it won't bend, if possible.  

------------------------------
    Jennifer Miguel
    Franklin VA

• 2.  RE: Prosthetic for Cyrano

Posted 12-11-2015 09:42

I had a student who did a scene from Cyrano at our All-State drama competition and we got one online and it worked quite well.  We were able to match skin tone quite well so that it looked as realistic as possible.  I too was concerned with the flexibility of the nose so we experimented with a variety of things and found that stuffing the nose with batting eliminated the movement without weighing it down too much.  Hope this helps in some way.  Good luck!

Michael Hancey
    Musical Theatre Teacher/Theatre Guild Sponsor
    Laramie WY

• 3.  RE: Prosthetic for Cyrano

Posted 12-11-2015 17:41

We did "Cyrano de Burgershack" last year and tried a number of noses. We found that the hollow rubber ones sweat way too much and don't lay quite right. We ended up ordering a really nice one that was foam latex from here: http://www.mostlydead.com/products/cyrano-costume-nose . It was a little more pointed than I originally would have liked, but it looked great and was easy to match skin tone with a Ben Nye color kit. I have better pics, but I can't find them at the moment, but if you zoom in, you can see the nose. It was fairly easy to apply, I recommend using Pros-Aide (available through PNTA, I got this kit: http://www.pnta.com/makeup/adhesives-sealers-cleansers/pros-aide-go-kit/  and it was plenty for 6 shows and 5 dress rehearsals) .

Hope this helps! Have a great show!

Elizabeth Boltz
    Red Devil Theatre Company Director
    Union Gap WA