Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Letter in Drama

Posted 11-20-2017 15:38
    Good afternoon! This year for the first time our district is awarding letters for Drama and the AD has left it completely up to me as to what the criteria should be. I'd love to hear what other schools that present letters in Drama use for their rubrics.

• 2.  RE: Letter in Drama

Posted 11-21-2017 08:00
    Mine is quite rigorous because we are a small school so there are fewer shows and classes available. The student must be a Thespian, have earned a B- or higher in two semesters of any theatre class, made a significant contribution to two different school productions and any of the following: two classes, two productions, or one class and one production. Additional letters after that (chevrons) are earned with any two classes, productions, or one of each. 

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    Executive Board of Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

• 3.  RE: Letter in Drama

Posted 11-21-2017 08:24
    We work from the Thespian point system:
    • 10 points = induction
    • 20 points = 1st star
    • 30 points = 2nd star and letter
    • 40 points = 3rd star
    • 50 points = 4th star
    • 60 points = 5th star
    • 70 points = Honor Thespian
    • 80 points = National Honor Thespian
    • 90 points = International Honor Thespian
    • 100 = Sponsor Discretion
    We don't have curricular offerings, so everything we do is extra-curricular.  What I like about basing it off the point system is students become familiar with the system and you can adapt it however you want.

------------------------------
    [William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 4.  RE: Letter in Drama

Posted 11-21-2017 09:00
    I would love the criteria as well. I'm new to this organization and I'd like all the info I can get and share my experience i have been theatre director for thirty years and choreographer for 47 years and I'm still learning every day. any info would be appreciatedn
    Alden

Alden Harrison
    Theatre and Dance Instructor
    diocese of fall river
    Attleboro MA

• 5.  RE: Letter in Drama

Posted 11-22-2017 08:09
    Good discussion. As you can see, Troupe Directors have a lot of latitude in exactly how they handle points and awards. That's because some programs produce 1 show a year and others might produce 5 or more. 

Here's a link to the recommended honors and awards system from the Thespian Troupe Handbook. 
    https://www.schooltheatre.org/internationalthespiansociety/troupedirectors/troupehandbook#5i 

You can always get to the handbooks on the Middle School Teacher or High School Teacher pages of the ITS website.

David

David LaFleche
    Director of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 6.  RE: Letter in Drama

Posted 11-26-2017 06:40
    My students can letter in Drama (the sports kids hate this, but our requirements are actually higher than theirs - which usually shuts them up). To letter you have to have been in / worked on two shows. That represents usually about 4 or 500 hours of time commitment, publicly representing the school, and (if you are on the stage) getting a part in a very competitive program. That's how I sold it to my principal years ago, he agreed.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ