Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Choreo and Cheer stunts

Posted 08-11-2017 13:23
    We are producing Bring it On this fall.  I've brought in a choreographer familiar with stunting, hip hop and more.  We've been having weekly summer rehearsals to prepare our skills and i've brought in 3 other experts to work with my students.  They have been working extremely hard to learn many skills.  Recently the Cheer team had their summer camp and one of the girls was injured.  So this has come back to me and they are being very strict about us following the same stunting rules that they do.  Nebraska seems to have some of the strictest stunting rules around.  No inversions, nothing over shoulder height and no catches.  I've been very particular with making sure the kids are learning these skills safely but they've learned some awesome cradle catches and a couple of partner dance moves where one partner is inverted.  I would really like these to be in the show a)for the aesthetic b)to add to the believability that they would make nationals c) most importantly the kids worked really hard to learn them and learn them well.  
    Has anyone ever had to deal with this?  How did you convince admin to let your kids do tricks and stunts that they were scared of?  Does anyone have an example of a contract/waiver signed by parents?  
    I think we are being overly cautious and well trained students can achieve pretty amazing things.  

Follow the rules below:
    • Stunts/lifts shall be limited to shoulder height or below.
    • All vertical shoulder level stunts/lifts must have an additional spotter.
    • All vertical shoulder level stunts/lifts must remain on two feet except during the mount or dismount of the stunt/lift.
    • Twisting mounts and dismounts are limited to 1/2 twist.
    • All cradle dismounts, tosses, and inversions are prohibited.
    • Examples of Prohibited Skills

• Cradle
      • Release Transitions
      • Inversion at Shoulder Level
      • Handstand on Thighs
      • Basket or prep tosses
      • Extensions
      • Liberty at prep or above
      • Extended Flatback or Side T
      • Quick Toss

------------------------------
    Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    Omaha NE

• 2.  RE: Choreo and Cheer stunts

Posted 08-15-2017 16:17
    @Samantha Roop provided some excellent advice about Bring It On to @Brooke Jackson in a previous thread. Samantha is also her school's cheerleading coach so she was able to give unique insight into the safety concerns associated with this particular show, hopefully she can help here too!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY