Open Forum

View Only

Need comedy ideas

• 1.  Need comedy ideas

Posted 12-21-2017 10:10
    Help.  I have 7 weeks from auditions to opening night to mount a straight play, comedy, small cast, with a minimal set.  I need all of the ideas I can get.  Anyone??  By the way, its 9-12 grade, small private school.  Aaaaaaaah.

--
    Karen Dean
    Director of Theatre
    St. George's Independent School
    1880 Wolf River Blvd.
    Collierville, Tn . 38017

• 2.  RE: Need comedy ideas

Posted 12-21-2017 10:50
    I was able to stage Happily Ever Once Upon by Virginia Kidd several years ago with your listed limitations. I believe Sam French has the rights

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Need comedy ideas

Posted 12-21-2017 17:45
    Oy vey. It's always so much harder to find a good comedy for high schoolers than a drama. (Mostly because I feel like comedy, even period comedy, usually deals with more "adult" themes. Design for Living, anyone?) I have a teacher-friend who was able to turn around 39 Steps in that time frame a few years ago. (LOVE that show.) I feel like you could probably stage a show like One Man, Two Guvnors in seven weeks as well. But both of those titles depend on how well your students do with slapstick and physical comedy.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 4.  RE: Need comedy ideas

Posted 12-22-2017 08:29
    I am a little confused by this. Seven weeks should be plenty of time to put on a play. 

We usually spend five weeks rehearsing a play but I guess the time frame depends on how many hours a week you can dedicate to rehearsal. We typically have 10 hours of after-school rehearsal time per week.

I once directed YOU CAN't TAKE IT WITH YOU in four weeks due to a schedule pinch that year. It was pretty good, too!

My advice: stick with something rather short -- 90 to 120 minutes -- and something you are already familiar with. Plays with lots of action are easier to rehearse than plays with lots of words so go with that. Someone else suggested ONE MAN, TWO GOVNERS and that is a good example of this.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 5.  RE: Need comedy ideas

Posted 12-22-2017 11:22
    Almost , Maine is a great one to do with those specifications. Because each scene is two people, they can all work simultaneously, so your rehearse time is greatly diminished. Set can be as simple as you want. It's not terribly comedic though, but our audiences loved it so much and the student actors still talk about it as a favorite!!

Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: Need comedy ideas

Posted 12-22-2017 12:14

I've always been fond of FOOLS by Neil Simon. It's a sweet comic folk tale. Simple (but fun) to stage and costume. Cast of 10. Simple unit set.

Also THE FOREIGNER by Larry Shue. Wonderful comedy. One set (a cabin in the woods). Small cast. Simple costumes.

and finally, HAY FEVER, by Noel Coward. A little more challenging, as it's a stylish British comedy. But a case of 9 (4 m, 5w) with great women's roles and a single set. Great opportunity of fun costuming if you have the resources. 

Good luck!

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 7.  RE: Need comedy ideas

Posted 12-22-2017 15:34
    The Real Inspector Hound by Tom Stoppard is great choice...small unit set, small cast
    ACTORS NIGHTMARE by Durang

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director
    Madera CA

• 8.  RE: Need comedy ideas

Posted 12-22-2017 17:09

You can do a 1-Act and there are a lot of comedy options out there. I did This is a Test when I had 3 weeks after my leads quit a show.  Love (Awkwardly) is a full-length and 1-Act. 

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 9.  RE: Need comedy ideas

Posted 12-29-2017 12:03
    Greater Tuna is funny and requires only 2 people but you could expand it.

Alfred Fought
    PNC Arena
    Raleigh, NC

• 10.  RE: Need comedy ideas

Posted 12-29-2017 13:57
    A few years ago I did two one acts as our spring play.  One was called The Actor's Games and the other was The Rehearsal--both I think I got from Playscripts.  The kids really bought into them and they were pretty easy to stage.  I think either would be doable with 7 weeks of rehearsal time.

Lisa Neal
    Theater Educator
    Nokomis Regional High School
    Palmyra ME

• 11.  RE: Need comedy ideas

Posted 12-30-2017 07:37
    We just produced The Rules of Comedy by Peter Bloedel, published by Playscripts with a 5 week rehearsal period (that included 1.5 weeks of breaks because of NJEA convention and Thanksgiving). It ran about 45 minutes and really tested the students with its quick pace and physical comedy bits. There's also some use of the final scene of Hamlet. Students had fun and the audience loved it. The play was a challenge to do in a short period of time, but the pay off was great.

Jim DeVivo, Ph.D.
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Lacey Township High School
    Lanoka Harbor NJ

• 12.  RE: Need comedy ideas

Posted 01-10-2018 10:34
    I really liked Happily Even Once Upon by Virigina Kidd. It's the story of Cinderella and Prince Charming 20 years after their fairy tale ended. Lots of fun characters to play with.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ