Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Elephant Man

Posted 10-10-2018 03:41
    This is an odd choice but my advanced students have done some scenes from this play and for some reason have become obsessed with it. Is this something anyone has every done at a High School? I suspect the climactic scene where Mrs. Kendall reveals her breasts to Merrick (even if her revealing herself is only suggested, actresses back to the audience, full body stocking, etc.) would make this a complete no-go for nearly all educational theater but I can't argue it's a beautiful play. Well written. Interesting historical piece. Great characters. And topical in it's message.
    What do you think? We are pretty progressive but again, has this ever been attempted at a High School level? 
    John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 2.  RE: The Elephant Man

Posted 10-10-2018 13:42
    Forsyth Central High School in Georgia did Elephant Man a few years ago. It was a very impressive performance and they placed 3rd at State. I forget how they handled that scene, but when I was considering it, I was thinking of the woman being behind a screen.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: The Elephant Man

Posted 10-11-2018 07:27
    It's been in my list for years, I just haven't found the right moment. I see no reason why it would be a problem and I know high schools do it. I saw a terrific production of it done by Cambridge Rindge and Latin in MA a few years ago.

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 4.  RE: The Elephant Man

Posted 10-11-2018 09:30
    We did it in a high school, in a relatively conservative community.  We had a dressing screen in Merrick's room, with a duplicate of Mrs Kendall's costume behind.  Mrs Kendall went behind the screen, kept talking, hung the duplicate costume over the top of the screen as if she had taken it off, and was completely covered the entire time.  The suggestion was enough to sell the scene.
    Josh Belk

Director of Theatre
    Bear Necessity Theatre Company
    at Palmer Ridge High School
    (719) 867 8102

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more Click Here.

• 5.  RE: The Elephant Man

Posted 10-11-2018 15:26
    I saw a HS production when we were at SETC a few years ago--possibly the same one Ken referenced.

I'm all for ambitious theatre at the high school level. I think kids are capable and willing to throw themselves into the deep end, and in many cases, they are hungering for challenging material that will allow them to explore complex emotional and intellectual landscapes. But I also believe that it's our job as adults/teachers/mentors to be extremely careful about what we are asking these very willing kids to do. 

I think the mechanics can be solved more easily than other concerns. This play calls for the lead female actor, as a function of the plot, to bare her breasts to the lead male character. As written, it's a moment that is about trust and intimacy and empathy and love. I imagine that you and your students have discussed the nuances and layers of meaning when you studied the play, and that it's part of the reason why the kids love it. But on a very real level, should you do this play, you are going to be selecting a young woman to tell the story of baring her breasts.  When it comes down to it, that kid has to emotionally live out the moment of baring her breasts to another human, and she's got to allow herself to be seen while doing it by 100+ people. Even if she's behind a screen, she's doing the emotional work, and that's a huge ask. As teachers, we've all had discussions with girls who were pressured into sending topless photos of themselves to boys, and even though it's not analogous to the content of the scene, it's the frame of reference some kids in the cast and audience will approach it with. Right or wrong, it sends up a flag for me.

I like to ask questions when I'm considering a project, and these are a few that I would need to examine for myself before moving forward: Will this scene dissuade girls from trying out? Are there enough other interesting and challenging roles in the play for girls--or is the price of getting a meaty role implying a willingness to mime nudity? Is it the right move for my company to build a production largely around the student playing Merrick? Will my female students worry or decide (without ever mentioning these fears out loud) that only a certain body type need apply for Kendal? Are my male and female students of color dealing with additional layers of complexity in terms of how their bodies are viewed, and will that affect their interest in trying out for Merrick or Kendal? Am I comfortable talking teenagers through the implied nudity scene? Are my actors' parents comfortable with me having these discussions with their minor children? Since I won't know what sort of history all my students have with sexual activity, sexting, or sexual abuse, what systems will I need to keep them safe and avoid exploitation? Beyond this one scene--What sort of issues arise for me and my kids around having a presumably able-bodied actor play a character with physical challenges? How does my personal understanding of and experience with the exploitation of different bodies blind me or motivate me in directing this work?

The great thing about theatre is that no two directors' answers to those questions--and the thousands more that arise--will be the same. My reasons for not choosing this play are bound up in my understanding of how I need to balance my ambitions as a director and educator with the fact that my actors are adolescents.  I also have clear biases around what young girls are asked to do on stage arising from my gender and experience as an actor in high school and beyond, so take this reply with a grain of salt.

You know your community, your kids, and your goals for your program best. Be really thorough in investigating why this play at this moment in time with this group of kids, and you will come up with an answer that works for your company of students and community audience.
    Best of luck!

Meg O'Connor
    oconnormainstage.com

• 6.  RE: The Elephant Man

Posted 10-12-2018 15:25
    “The Elephant Man” is terrific theatre. Our school presented this in 2012. Our other drama that year was “Dancing at Lughnasa” and our musical was “Beauty and the Beast”. We were rich and deep with an extraordinary talented senior class.

For TEM, we did the disrobing scene behind a Victorian dressing screen we constructed located USL. The top of the head of the actress was visible to the audience. Merrick was UCTR, body posture and head facing SR. At the appropriate time, he shifted his weight looking down until in position and then slowly lifted his head to look SL. It was very effective.

We rented all the Victorian costumes from Norcostco (MSP). But for Merrick’s first scenes we used a rust colored “cowboy” rain cloak with big lapels that I found on a rack in an antique mall. If interested in it, let me know.

The young actor playing Merrick contorted his body and face to achieve the disfigurement - we used no special make-up or prosthetics. We had very selective and great Victorian furniture pieces in a spare thrust space augmented with a stage wide rear projection of real images of Merrick and places mentioned in the script. We had killer props including a 3D cathedral put together puzzle that we used for Merrick’s model making. We bought two kits and constructed portions that could easily be added to show progression. We simply aged it to get rid of the new glossy look.

We had live string instruments to accompany the transitions and key mood scenes. We also projected the title of each scene on the rear projection cyc as actors moved into positions in character and in silhouette in front.

Our students thrived on this show. They quickly learned their scripts and honed the English and other accents. This show begs for character development and our young actors delivered.

You won’t regret choosing this play.

Sent from my iPhone