Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Boosters

Posted 07-31-2017 23:49
    Hello!  I've got a question out there for those of you working with Boosters or other parent groups.
    We've got a great Boosters organization but I don't know how to best involve them. 

Also, any really interesting fund raising ideas out there?

TIA!

• 2.  RE: Boosters

Posted 08-01-2017 08:52
    I'm blessed with a great booster group as well.  They have been instrumental in planning and carrying out our children's show/fundraiser (Peanut Butter & Jelly Theater -- there's a lunch, games for before the show, and every child attendee goes home with a nice door prize, all donated)
    We  also have a great coordinator who has found us "service" fundraisers so we don't have to continually sell things that no one wants or needs.  We work at concession stands and beer booths (obviously that's only parents) for various festivals around town, and we volunteer for our city's Flying Pig marathon, and at our little country fair.  If you know any catering services, that's how we got into the concession events.

------------------------------
    Monica Williams-Mitchell
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Boosters

Posted 08-01-2017 11:58
    My boosters do a Crab Feast once a year that raises upwards of $20,000. They also keep all of the ticket sales and concessions/flowers/messages to the stars for our shows, though the school pays for the rights (which I still don't quite understand).

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 4.  RE: Boosters

Posted 08-01-2017 14:07
    We're kickstarting our first boosters club this year and our board has met to hash out a few ideas.

- We plan on doing a dinner-out fundraiser (everyone goes to X restaurant and we get X% of the profits) at least once every other month.
    - We're buying a popcorn and a candy machine to increase lobby snack sales
    - We're doing a karaoke night in the auditorium. $5 cover fee for unlimited karaoke from 3pm-8pm. We just put up youtube karaoke videos on the big movie screen on stage and our wireless handheld mics.
    - We want to do a diy photobooth at all our shows and ask for a $1 donation per photo
    - When we thought we were going to do Grease this year we planned a classic car show and sock hop, but that fell through. So we're cooking up some other fun, family friendly pre-show activities for our Saturday matinee.
    - We're trying to do Annie for the Spring, so even though it's not a fundraiser, I'd like boosters to help with some sort of toy donation drive for homeless youth.

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 5.  RE: Boosters

Posted 08-07-2017 12:11
    Parent boosters are such a complex topic and everyone uses theirs differently.  I found your first request intriguing, how do you involve your parent boosters?  Because of my initial thoughts being so large on this topic, I put down into a blog how I begin to think about organizing and using my parent volunteers.  You can see that HERE.  I'd love to know if this is helpful or doesn't fully answer your question.  

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 6.  RE: Boosters

Posted 08-07-2017 12:46
    I was answering the second part of your question about how we recently expanded our show telegram program to bring in more money (every little bit helps!) and it was full of more information than I thought.  I made that a blog post HERE.

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA