Open Forum

View Only

Theatre Department Supporting Facilities

• 1.  Theatre Department Supporting Facilities

Posted 11-15-2016 07:31

Hi everyone!  I was reading a thread about splitting proceeds with music departments when musicals are staged, and it brings up a related question:

How many of you are expected to use your extracurricular funds to support the theatre facility?  And how much are you expected to support it?  Here are things that we as theatre programs might be asked to pay for:  rigging/lighting inspections, lamp replacement, new lighting instruments, paint for the stage floor, curtain replacement/repair, lobby painting/furniture replacement.

I am in a new position, and this is a discussion we are currently having as we look to make some upgrades.  I thought I would reach out to you all to see what you are asked to contribute.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Munster High School
    Munster, IN

• 2.  RE: Theatre Department Supporting Facilities

Posted 11-16-2016 01:12

This is a sticking point for us.  I have made it very clear that if theatre department funds purchase it, it is for the use of the theatre department only.  So when I buy wireless mics, I pull them at the end of our show and lock them up and no one else is allowed to use them.  When we buy spike and gaff tape, same thing.  Glow tape is ALWAYS locked up because it's so darn expensive.  

I refuse to pay for the rigging inspection.  There's no way my department can afford it and given that we are far from the only district group to use the space, there's no reason it should fall on us.  Our space is used, free of charge, by all high school performance groups, anyone in the HS who wants to bring in a guest speaker for a large group of kids, and all middle school and elementary performance groups.  Then there are the community groups who rent the space.  Given that, I think it's perfectly acceptable that the district (or a building account) should be financially responsible for maintaining the space.

Basically, the distinction in my head is if it's for the building/space, it's paid for by the district.  If it's for our department, it's paid for by us.  It gets a little weird with lamps, since we all use the same lamps, but since we are the ones who repair all the instruments, buy all the gels and replace any lamps when they go, I think it's fair that the district pay for the lamps.

Another way to do it, and a way I've seen some districts handle it, is that anyone who wants to use the space pays a rental fee out of their budget, but then everything is provided.  So the theatre department pays rent for the time they use the auditorium for shows, but then all lamps, gels, gaff tape, etc are covered.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Theatre Department Supporting Facilities

Posted 11-16-2016 03:07

At my school, all performing arts department events have 10% taken out of total ticket sales to cover the cost of bulbs, instrument repair, inspections, etc. 

Nancy Moran
    Drama Instructor
    Los Altos High School
    Los Altos CA

• 4.  RE: Theatre Department Supporting Facilities

Posted 11-16-2016 09:06

We split the costs between Drama and the school/district.

For things that go to "general use" by the entire school and occasionally outside groups that use our theatre for meetings and such, the school pays for it.

These include:

- Simple, handheld microphones

- Cables

- Cleaning supplies

- Common tools (screwdrivers, hammers, etc.)

- Even some costumes and make-up if I use them for classwork and not just for "one-off" plays/musicals.

For items that are used specifically for our shows, we pay for those through the Drama account.  This money is raised via ticket sales, advertising/sponsorship, and other fundraising.

These include:

- Anything we rent (costumes, props, etc.)

- Paints and building supplies for sets and props

- Special effects equipment (spotlights, fog machines, etc.)

- High quality (i.e., expensive) microphones that are used just for our shows

Occasionally, I am able to argue that some items that we purchase for a specific show can have uses in my Drama Classes, for example some of the wigs we purchased for "Hairspray" we've used for scene study projects.  Therefore, those items were purchased by the school because they had "educational use".

As for lights, the school system pays for lamps and gels since they are used for shows and classwork.  However, as we've earned money to pay for upgrades (LEDs, a better board, etc.) I've had to be "creative" with funding.  We've used a mix of school system funds, Drama Dept. funds, and even some grant money.  While I would love to have the school pay for everything, the money just isn't there for a full-overhaul.

Being creative with funding, while challenging, can yield wonderful results.  In addition, I keep my advanced Drama students informed of such budgeting issues.  This practical application of the skills used in business and marketing has been a wonderful way to keep kids, and their families, in the loop.

Hope this helps.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 5.  RE: Theatre Department Supporting Facilities

Posted 11-16-2016 11:21

At my school we are not permitted to purchase/fund things considered permanent fixtures or building necessities. So, for example, the thespian club can buy lights, but we are not allowed to buy a new lighting board because it is considered a fixture. We can buy microphones, but cannot fund any painting or construction in the lobby. We can buy lumber and tools for our production, but we can't buy curtain or rigging inspections. I say asking your program to be responsible for funding theater items that only your program/club will use (special body mics, tools, robotic lighting instruments, etc) is fine. But asking you to fund safety inspections or other semipermenent features that will be used by any group given access to the auditorium and benefits the entire student body seems unfair.

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 6.  RE: Theatre Department Supporting Facilities

Posted 11-16-2016 18:17

My rule is, if the school uses the theatre for meetings, assemblies or non drama related events then they carry the burden and expense of upkeep. My budget goes for my program, royalties, sets, costumes and essentials. If they need tech (and they have to use my students) they pay for the service. Guest speakers provide their own laptops for power points and fill out a technical use form indicating the type of event, required support and statement agreeing to clean up after they are done. Outside groups have to pay a usage fee and provide proof of insurance. 

Ralph Adkins
    Director of Theatre
    Albuquerque High School
    Albuquerque NM

• 7.  RE: Theatre Department Supporting Facilities

Posted 11-17-2016 15:37
    Ray,

I am not sure how Indiana handles funds for schools, but in Kentucky we follow the "redbook" (so named because I am pretty sure Satan was a co-author) that lays out guidelines for the use of money at the school and district level.

I know our friendly, neighborhood "redbook" prohibits the use of school level funds for building maintenance (e.g. any money we have in a club or department account). This may or may not apply in your situation, but it would be worth checking out.

---------------------------------
    Susan Cates
    Teacher/Theatre Director
    Madison Southern High School
    Berea KY
    ---------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Theatre Department Supporting Facilities

Posted 11-17-2016 21:48

It doesn’t sound like anyone has a theatre manager! Are you expected to manage the theatre and teach? Is your production budget not separate from the theatre budget? The test for budget is – is it show-specific? As an example: if you absolutely must have R39 gels for your show (I would!) and the theatre doesn’t have any and doesn’t usually use that color, then that should come out of your show budget. If the theatre is using R02 and R60 for their area lights for every event that comes in, then those gels come out of the theatre budget, as do lamps and mic batteries, that sort of thing. This is the case in the high school theatre I manage. For instance, I have two wireless and two wired mics available for events, while the music department has a whole set of wireless mics (for jazz choir and musicals) which they bought from their budget and only they use. Other events must bring in their own equipment if they want more than the four mics the theatre offers. I have my own budget for theatre supplies, separate from the drama teacher’s budget and the music teachers’ budgets. But, it’s not just the funds/budgets – that’s only a symptom of a neglected system. There’s the question of who maintains the rep plot, who oversees other events while they are in the theatre, who enforces safety policies and procedures, the list is endless. If your theatre is being run like a ‘roadhouse’ (lots of event come into the space; your own plays, concerts, dance recitals, meetings, speeches, variety shows; school events, district events, outside events), then I urge you to talk with your administration about hiring a Theatre Manager and professional technicians. A ‘roadhouse’ high school theatre is not your budgeting responsibility and it certainly should not be your liability.

Beth Rand
    Author of: "The High School Theatre Lighting Rep Plot" and "High School Theatre Operations"
    High School Theatre Manager and HS Theatre Operations Coach
    PRESETT, a service of RCDTheatreOps
    www.PRESETT.org
    www.RCDTheatreOps.com
    Woodinville, WA

• 9.  RE: Theatre Department Supporting Facilities

Posted 11-18-2016 16:01

Oh yes, we have a building coordinator, but our district took that budget over several years ago so the building/auditorium has no budget currently.  Anything that the building coordinator wants to purchase has to go through the district and be approved by our CFO.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 10.  RE: Theatre Department Supporting Facilities

Posted 11-20-2016 19:18

I actually am the theatre facility manager.  I don't have a teaching load.  But I also run the extracurricular program.  And we do rent the space out at least once a month, sometimes more depending on the season.  But I don't know what happens to the money that comes in from the rental fees.  They pay it to the central office, and that's it.  I've been in talks with my building principal about purchases that in my mind should not be solely borne by the theatre program because everyone uses this equipment.  I may be asked to pay for part of it, though, because my predecessor left a lot of money.  Fair?  Not really since band/orchestra/choir aren't asked to pay for any of it.  

Thank you for this feedback, though, everyone!  Keep on fighting the good fights!

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Schererville IN

• 11.  RE: Theatre Department Supporting Facilities

Posted 11-21-2016 07:02

Hi,

I manage our theater and am given a budget by our district. Although the level of funding changes slightly each year, We typically receive $6000+ for repairs and an equal or greater for new equipment. Lamps are purchased through the district with their money. All expendables are generally purchased through separate ECA accounts associated with the school group using the facility. Those lines blur as we are a small school and district and two of the significant users are my theatre and vocal music programs.

Significant repairs and purchases are scheduled three years in advance but emergency purchases are taken care of by the district (most recently, replacement of a scrim and a cyc).

Our district has always understood that upkeep of the theater requires a financial commitment on their part and good stewardship on ours.   

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN