Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Producing Twelfth Night

Posted 09-21-2016 08:36
    Has anyone adapted Shakespeare's Twelfth Night for high school performance? All "official" versions seem too truncated and lose the flavor of the language. I plan to produce it in an intimate, three-quarters-in-the-round setting with audience on stage and set it in the Roaring 20s or 1930s Hollywood and use recognizable film stars as the characters.  Any thoughts? Successes? Difficulties?

• 2.  RE: Producing Twelfth Night

Posted 09-21-2016 14:39

I have never done this with Twelfth Night, but I have with other Shakespeare shows. If I were you, I would just take the original text and adapt it myself to suit my own purposes. Since it's in the public domain, you have the opportunity to shape it how you wish to fit your needs. I like your concept, it sounds interesting!

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: Producing Twelfth Night

Posted 09-21-2016 22:43

There is a production that was done at the Pasadena Playhouse which used the concept of the Duke being Duke Ellington and added some of his music which was very enjoyable.  I saw it when it was filmed for PBS  Great Performances so it might be out there somewhere.  Malvolio showed up in a bright yellow zoot suit and a large fedora.  It was so much fun. 

Kathy Cannnarozzi Harris
    Theater Director - Mission Viejo HS
    VAPA Coordinator K-12
    Saddleback Valley USD
    Mission Viejo, CA

• 4.  RE: Producing Twelfth Night

Posted 09-22-2016 18:35
    I saw Twelfth Night last year (as a film noir in all black and white and Orsino and Olivia as rival gang leaders). It was cut by the director mostly line by line for time. A good starting point is the Globe edition one act. I had done that version years ago, but felt it missed a bit (like a truncated ring scene), but it kept the general flavor. All you need is about half an hour more added to that.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Producing Twelfth Night

Posted 09-22-2016 20:22

Thanks for your help, Elizabeth. I'm doing some cutting and shaping, but going with the original text. Teaching the concept types will be the hurdle!

Deborah Frauenholz
    Drama Director
    Avonworth High School
    Pittsburgh, PA

• 6.  RE: Producing Twelfth Night

Posted 09-22-2016 20:20

Kathy, thanks! I will look it up. I thought about just doing a gangster movie take as well. There's a great production from The Globe with men playing the females. I think my greatest difficulty may be teaching the Hollywood types (Groucho Marx/Feste, WC Fields/Toby, Greta Garbo/Olivia...) Thanks for taking the ti.e to respond .

Deborah Frauenholz
    Drama Director
    Avonworth High School
    Pittsburgh, PA

• 7.  RE: Producing Twelfth Night

Posted 09-23-2016 11:09

Groucho Marx and Shakespeare's Twelfth Night...what an awesome idea!

Highly recommend cutting it yourself, if you can find the time. I've used Newlin's 30 minute editions before, but have found them to be a bit too truncated. Other folks may have their own versions of Twelfth Night, but when you cut it yourself, you choose what lines you really want to keep and emphasize. Just completed my own adaptation of M'beth at a running time of about 37 minutes, for competition; what was really encouraging was finding that my students found the cut version easier to follow than when we watched the whole, unedited production available at digitaltheatre.com featuring David Morrisey and Julia Ford. Which was nice.  

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 8.  RE: Producing Twelfth Night

Posted 09-24-2016 09:49
    Hello all!

We are in the beginning stages of premiering a new version of "Twelfth Night" and will open it on 4 November 2016. The script has been cut for time constraints and reduced to 13/14 actors. There is a twist to the concept that I found irresistible: Zombies.
    I will report to you folks as we go forward and add in photographs as we get into production with "Twelfth Night of the Living Dead, Or what you kill".

Warren Kerr - Theatre Arts
    Auburn High School
    Auburn, WA

Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  RE: Producing Twelfth Night

Posted 09-25-2016 10:04

Sounds hilarious! Best wishes for a "killer" show!

Deborah Frauenholz
    Drama Director
    Avonworth High School
    Pittsburgh, PA

• 10.  RE: Producing Twelfth Night

Posted 09-25-2016 10:08

Thanks, Phillip. I expect that teaching the types will prove the challenge. These kids have wrestled with the likes of Sweeney Todd, Phantom, Man of La Mancha, The Crucible, and Into the Woods--and they're petrified of comedy!

Deborah Frauenholz
    Drama Director
    Avonworth High School
    Pittsburgh, PA