Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Trying to determine the appropriate amount of rehearsal time in a tough situation

Posted 11-02-2016 10:41
    I am trying to determine the appropriate amount of time to rehearse a straight full-length play. My situation may be somewhat unique, because our only stage is in a gym. The stage is shared by the cheerleaders, band, and drama. A coach has an office on the stage as well, and, of course, the gym is used for basketball practice (not only by the high school team but by pee wee teams as well) some afternoons. At our school it seems to be all I can do to secure four to five weeks to rehearse a straight play (not even getting the stage for part of that), but after doing some research it seems several of you are rehearsing much longer than that. We usually rehearse for three hours a day three hours a week, and occasionally have a two hour rehearsal added on Wednesdays as needed.

Don't get me wrong, our plays have came together and been well received overall. I'm not going to say they couldn't have been sharpened up a bit, but I think most of us would say that about some aspect of any of our shows. We have always received excellent reviews from our community.

Our school is in a rural area. Our high school student population is 438 kids (7-12). I am interested in hearing from any of you in a similar situation. My kids are the ones who try to do everything. I simply cannot do anything around Halloween currently due to marching band season, so in the past few years I have turned my attention to Christmas-time. However, this year we have been dealing with a stage issue securing our dates. Yesterday (Nov. 1), my principal came to me with a calendar and said we were getting our requested dates (Dec. 9 & 10).

I have been looking at the radio plays of "It's A Wonderful Life" and "World War II Radio Christmas", in addition to a straight up play version of "It's a Wonderful Life" and a few others. However, in light of the fact I cannot have auditions until next Monday at the earliest due to prior conflicts (football senior night being one), I'm scrambling and seeking advice. I wanted to see if any of you had done these plays, and, if so, how quickly the play came together for you.

I feel I should mention I am also the yearbook adviser, an English teacher, and the resident speech/drama teacher. I have 44 pages of the yearbook due in the middle of when I need to rehearse, but I am hoping this year's yearbook staff will take care of that. This is a stressful time, but, unfortunately, if we do not try to get a production done in this time frame my drama kids will lose out.

Jennifer Vernon, NBCT - AYA English Language Arts,
    English II, journalism, speech, and drama instructor,
    Piggott High School,
    Piggott, Arkansas

Check out my classroom projects!
    www.donorschoose.org/jvernon

• 2.  RE: Trying to determine the appropriate amount of rehearsal time in a tough situation

Posted 11-02-2016 12:35

Not sure if this will help, but can you do the early rehearsals (or the smaller scenes) in another space? An empty classroom, the cafeteria, even a quiet hallway somewhere? That way you can utilize the stage for the later rehearsals when you're working on larger scenes.

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 3.  RE: Trying to determine the appropriate amount of rehearsal time in a tough situation

Posted 11-02-2016 23:11

For years we have rehearsed before school.  We rehearse from 7 AM - 8:15 AM, 4 mornings a week for about 10 weeks.  The last two weeks we rehearse after school from 3-6.  I do try to set the play dates around half days, when possible so that we can get  longer rehearsals in.  We lose time for table work and blocking must go fast.  I have to work scenes sometimes during lunch.  Since we audition the 2nd week of school, students know that if they are in a sport that last two weeks, they committed to the play/musical first and they miss those meets.  Coaches do work with me for those few days.  I have a friend who color codes scripts with blocking for individual characters and the time for blocking rehearsals is eliminated since it is already in their script.  I've never had it together enough to do that.  

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 4.  RE: Trying to determine the appropriate amount of rehearsal time in a tough situation

Posted 11-03-2016 08:52

Our school starts before 8 a.m., and the doors don't open until 7:30, so before school rehearsals would not work for us. However, thanks for the suggestion!

Jennifer Vernon
    Piggott AR

• 5.  RE: Trying to determine the appropriate amount of rehearsal time in a tough situation

Posted 11-03-2016 08:51

Some of our rehearsals are in the classroom. Some nights we are getting the gym, and some nights pee wee basketball is getting it. We have even been known to rehearse in a hallway or the school library.

Jennifer Vernon
    Piggott AR

• 6.  RE: Trying to determine the appropriate amount of rehearsal time in a tough situation

Posted 11-03-2016 07:08

Hello Jennifer,

And I thought I wore a lot of hats! You certainly have your hands full, but it sounds like you are managing it all despite the stress.

I would think one of the Radio plays would be the easiest to pull together as you they can easily be rehearsed in a classroom or other area, the trickiest part might be the "sound effects props" that are needed, so that would be my first priority or focus.  I don't know if the straight play version of "It's a Wonderful Life" has many different sets, but I have seen the radio play version done and it only has one set, which simplifies everything. I think costuming for this would be simpler as well.

And if you run into time constraints with busy kids and learning lines, you can always resort to the the "on air" portion of the story actually being written on the pages that are read. 

Just my 2 cents.  Keep us posted on your progress.  It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to accomplish.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 7.  RE: Trying to determine the appropriate amount of rehearsal time in a tough situation

Posted 11-03-2016 13:52

I think you are amazing and ambitious.  If there is equity - all groups get the space for the same amount of time - great, but if not...I noticed in Piggott there are several churches and a community center.  Would they be willing to allow you to rehearse in their spaces ?  I'm sure that students and their families attend and worship in those spaces, perhaps the "powers that be" can work something out with/for you!  Regarding time...our mainstage productions generally have 21-25 rehearsals of 3 hours in length before we open.

Janet Van Wess
    Theatre Arts Director
    Liberty High School - Troupe 6644
    Hillsboro, Oregon

• 8.  RE: Trying to determine the appropriate amount of rehearsal time in a tough situation

Posted 11-05-2016 01:52

Be thankful for a stage in the gym -I didn't have a stage at all! We put up a stage in the gym and there were some years my cast only got a week on stage before show time. 

We had one rehearsal space (mpr room) which was shared with cheer, band, etc.  We rehearsed wherever we could until we could get in the gym!

As for a play to do, I agree with It's A Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play. I did it a few years ago and the people loved it!  Since it's done in a radio studio, using scripts is perfectly fine! You could also use class time to study the radio era, sound effects , etc, which could easily lead to some rehearsal! 

Good luck! 

Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV