Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thespian Meetings

Posted 08-30-2018 11:05
    ​Hi everyone!!! 

I'm a fairly new theater teacher and need ideas on what to do during my thespian meetings. Last year was the first year I went to a competition. They year before I chartered the thespian troupe. I know that close to competition time I can use meetings as rehearsal time, but what about the other days? I would really love to do some kind of community service project related to theater so my middle schoolers can get hours,too. Any suggestions on thespian meeting ideas will be greatly appreciated!

------------------------------
    Jessica Fekete
    Upper Elementary & Middle School Teacher
    Sunrise FL

• 2.  RE: Thespian Meetings

Posted 08-30-2018 11:48

Hi Jessica!

Do you have any student leaders? This can be a really great opportunity for students to step up and work with one another to plan Thespian meetings. 

Regardless- an approach that my high school's troupe, the troupe I also advised for a couple years, took was to have themed meetings. These themes included: intro to improv, improv, costume & makeup design, character development, movement, etc. But it's also helpful to use holidays as themes! Every year, we did a Halloween meeting where we could teach FX makeup, play murder mystery games, and more. 

Since it's the beginning of the year, you can also start with an introductory meeting or two.: if you have a theater space, do a tour or a scavenger hunt; maybe pair up older students with younger students to welcome them into the group! 

I hope this all helps, or at the very least sparks some ideas for your Thespian troupe. Have fun! 

Katie Ferchen
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Thespian Meetings

Posted 08-31-2018 12:18
    We have a meeting a month to handle any paperwork or housekeeping issues. The other meetings vary according to need and include:

- audition tips and techniques
    - tech training 
    - mentoring sessions with the more advanced students working in small groups in a peer tutoring environment
    - building and/or painting for upcoming productions
    - sometimes we extend the meeting (considerably) and watch dvd performances of either professional companies or old productions from our school that predate the students currently present

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Thespian Meetings

Posted 08-31-2018 13:38
    We have a very large troupe and we meet every week for an hour and half on Thursdays. Here are some of our weekly agenda items and the kinds of things we cover under each. Our student board of officers makes an agenda to hand out and the plan for each meeting in advance so that we cover everything and still have fun. Obviously other items come up such as information for auditions for shows and the like, but these are our main ongoing topics:

Whole Troupe Activity
    • Improv game(s)
    • flash mob style dances that we all learn together as energizers and then also take to school dances
    • General group games for fun
    • Silly contests like game show style about information for trips and other upcoming activities

Preparing for Festival/competition
    • different pieces take turns performing at each meeting for feedback from the group (we practice timekeeping and using the adjudication forms with this too)
    • review of options and opportunities
    • explain categories available
    • Going over travel plans and needs (packing, costs, forms, $, ...) one or two each meeting as we get ready to go somewhere.

Thespian of the Week
    • Each week the student board of officers takes submissions for thespian of the week and at each meeting they announce one thespian to be showered with love. The nominations and selections are based on noticing someone going above and beyond for the troupe and at each meeting we spend a few minutes where anyone who wants can share something they love about the person who is Thespian of the Week. The literally say "I love _______ because ________" and it's a pretty awesome thing to watch. 
    • Meeting every week means that most of our members are chosen at least once in the year and across all fo their time in high school often several times.

Upcoming Local Events
    • shows and auditions coming up at other area high schools, colleges, or community theatre groups
    • other events around town that might be of interest to the group
    • local scholarships, food drives, service opportunities,... that relate to us in some way and/or have been sent for us to share

Big/Little Meet Up
    • We assign all new members (littles) to a member who has been around for a while (bigs) to help them understand and prepare for competition, show auditions, and all of the chaos of a large troupe. Bigs help their littles find rides to and from meetings and rehearsals, they help them prepare for trips and festival, and even meet their little's parents to answer the parents questions too. 
    • Each week bigs and littles meet and go over in greater detail the questions and needs areas and bigs report back to the student board of officers if anything needs to be reviewed with the whole troupe because it's coming up a lot in questions. 
    • Sometimes bigs and littles do activities or crafts together such as making cards for teachers for teacher appreciation, or playing improv. games, and other social stuff to get to know each other and build family among the troupe. 

Fundraising
    • Our biggest ongoing fundraiser is program sponsorships from local businesses and community members
    • We always try to have a fundraiser at least once a month, and we will talk about upcoming ones at each meeeting

Service Projects
    • We manage our schools auditorium so students get to sign up to work tech for events that aren't our own theatre department's such as dance recitals, concerts, and non-profit events where they can earn community service and ITS points for their hours
    • We do a number of other service projects throughout the year and will talk about upcoming ones and how to sign up and prepare for them at meetings such as face painting at the library's annual festival of books, dressing up in characters for charity events, and helping with disaster drills. 

I hope this helps with some ideas!

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Program Director
    Arnold High School Theatre
    Thespian Troupe 6371
    Panama City Beach, FL

District 10 Chair & State Logistics
    Florida State Junior Thespians

Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair