Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Set guidelines

Posted 10-13-2015 07:00
    I am struggling at my school with the inspection before a production per the Firemarshall. According to his interpretation of the codes, we are only allowed to have a max of 30% combustibles on stage...that includes wood, props, Amy materials on stage? Does anyone else have to adhere to this rule? We are not allowed to have 2 story sets, regular fabric on stage (curtains or fabrics), no electric on the set, and we must reinforce every platform every foot (even if it is only 6 inches off the ground). Help?? How do I fight this misinterpretation of codes? No one else in my area has to adhere to these unrealistic guidelines?? Ideas? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Set guidelines

Posted 10-13-2015 07:22

Does your school district have an office of Risk Management?  If so, they might be able to help support you in working with the fire marshal.  

------------------------------
    Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 3.  RE: Set guidelines

Posted 10-14-2015 10:47

I agree with Robert.  Your district's risk management department should be able to help negotiate with the local fire marshal.  Years ago when I was working for a library theater (yeah, we have those in Vegas) we installed a more convenient set of stairs to get to the stage.  The local code enforcement wanted us to install a railing across the entire edge of the apron to protect performers from falling off the stage!  Sometimes local ordinances just need to be schooled in the big differences between theater spaces and normal public access.  Talk to Risk Management!

John Morris
    Instructor/Technical Director
    Clark County School District
    Las Vegas NV

• 4.  RE: Set guidelines

Posted 10-15-2015 09:30

What if you spray everything with Fire Retardant? Like the kind you buy if youre making a float for a parade. 
    Nicole Pedroche
    Drama Teacher
    Covina CA

• 5.  RE: Set guidelines

Posted 10-15-2015 10:51

We've used Roscoe FLAMEX as an additive to paint and shared that with fire marshall.  It serves as a flame-retardant.
    David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 6.  RE: Set guidelines

Posted 10-15-2015 12:37

Contrary to popular belief (myth), there is not a 'theatre exemption' in the Building and Fire codes.  In many circumstances these codes are actually MORE stringent than 'normal' commercial or residential building codes.  This is for good reasons:  Production spaces are packed with people and they all need to be able to rapidly exit the building in the event of a fire.  The Building and Fire codes are written to minimize the spread of smoke and fire, and maximize the rate of egress for people.  This translates to the fireproofing requirements that have been in the codes for the last 100 years (you can't say "Oh, that must be new, I've never heard of that before".  You may have elected to ignore it, but it is not new.  Do a bit of research on the tragedies of the Iroquois Theatre Fire, The Station Nightclub Fire, and the Kiss Nightclub Fire - the mistakes made that lead to these events are commonplace in every theatre I visit, and particularly prevalent in High School theatres.

Every theatre production department should have a hard-copy of the current NFPA 101 Life Safety Code and the NFPA 70 National Electric Code.  (Resource: www.nfpa.org) These are your basic minimum requirements for safe construction and operations. You can and should do more.

Having a copy of the current (2010) ADA Guidelines is also helpful.  The basic requirements for accessible construction outlined in the ADA apply to everyone, not just those that are wheelchair bound.  Most building codes have incorporated all of these requirements into their text, but this is a nice concise summation for reference.  These requirements applied to the backstage and set construction can make for safer stairs, hand railings, and ramps where your performers and technicians work.

With regard to the structural requirements - the reason these codes were developed were to ensure that floors, walls, ceilings, and guard railings don't collapse under loads.  Do you recall the stage floor collapses in High Schools over the past two years?  These were the direct result of theatre staff believing they could defy the laws of physics and build substandard structures.  The result was that many students were injured unnecessarily.  Similarly, stairs and railings must be constructed so they do not sag, bow, or give-way under use.

Yes, most building code inspectors and Fire Marshals do not have a good understanding of theatre production needs, but more often than not, it is the theatre person that has a lesser understanding of what is  required to construct and operate a theatre in a manner that is code compliant.

Work with them to get a better relationship over how you ply your craft, but don't go to the meeting empty-headed - get the code books and read them before you challenge their expertise.  You may find that they are correct and you will have to re-think your past approaches to set construction and budgeting.  Just because 'that's the way we've always done it', doe not mean it was correct - it just means that you got away with it, and hopefully no one had a career-ending injury as a result of it.

Build your personnel safety and fire safety into your sets, don't try to scab them on as an afterthought.  Plan and budget for these elements from the get-go.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 7.  RE: Set guidelines

Posted 10-17-2015 17:04

I think Eric is on the right track for you.

I also think that meeting with the Fire Marshal would be a good idea.  Seems to me that what's happened here to you is that the expectations are different this year as compared to previous experiences.  Probably would not be any big deal for you to keep the Fire Inspector happy if you knew what he/she was looking for in advance as you could build your scenic units to those specifications ahead of time.  I also think getting a book like Bill Rauol's Stock Scenery Construction Handbook would help.  Meet with the Fire Marshall and discuss the text, see if those best practices that are outlined in the text are ok and try to build a better relationship going forward.  Might really be a benefit to you in the long run.

Let us know how things progress for you.  I think this is very important for all of us.

Michael

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC