Open Forum

View Only

Best plays for on line performance

• 1.  Best plays for on line performance

Posted 05-22-2020 20:55
    Hello hive  mind,  looking  for some feedback on what plays you think would work well Performing over digital platforms....actors in separate locations with video camera or web cam...ala zoom or other platforms. 
    I think SORRY WRONG NUMBER is perfect...any other suggestions?

------------------------------
    Damian Grzeskowiak
    Gorham NY

• 2.  RE: Best plays for on line performance

Posted 05-23-2020 04:39
    We are doing Radium Girls this weekend via Live stream. It's worked out wonderfully. I think my biggest piece of advice is to secure the rights early, because this streaming thing is new for the publishers too and they don't always have streaming rights available and they're working out the kinks in their own new contracts and may throw a wrench at you at the last minute.

Melissa Wood
    Owner/Director
    The Hive Repertory Theatre
    Rincon, GA

• 3.  RE: Best plays for on line performance

Posted 07-10-2020 00:29
    #melissa Wood

Melissa,
    I’d love to see your live streaming of your show. Any tips for using the platform?

Thanks,

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ
    StadtFamily@Juno.com

Sent from my iPhone

WHO Revises Position on How Virus Spreads
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f07ee7e164c76e7d40dcst01vuc1
    NFL: There'll be No More of This
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f07ee7e312896e7d40dcst01vuc2
    Florida Sets Record for COVID Deaths in 1 Day
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f07ee7e4bfae6e7d40dcst01vuc3

• 4.  RE: Best plays for on line performance

Posted 07-11-2020 03:49

Hi!  Unfortunately, you missed it and we were not able to record the show.  

Our biggest hurdles were:

1. We did the show pretty early, and the licensing company hadn't really worked out all the requirements for live streaming. So, at the last minute they made us change streaming platforms which led to a few technical difficulties. 

2. If any actors don't have a spectacular internet connection, it can slow the stream down for everyone. 

What was great about it was:

1. We all had a blast. 

2. We were able to work with actors from all over the country the furthest away being from the D.C. area. 

3. The actors were very creative with the use of their spaces, and even dressed in costumes. 

Overall, I would gladly do it again especially because the licensing companies all seem to have figured out exactly what their requirements would be now so we wouldn't have any last minute wrenches. 

Melissa Wood
    Owner/Director
    Rincon, GA

• 5.  RE: Best plays for on line performance

Posted 08-14-2020 12:59
    @Melissa Wood

Melissa,

Thanks for the good information about internet connection.

Maria

Sent from my iPhone

Top News - Sponsored By Newser

• 6.  RE: Best plays for on line performance

Posted 05-23-2020 13:41
    We will share the link on Facebook later tonight. We are doing part I tonight and part II tomorrow. We are The Hive Repertory Theatre in Rincon GA. 

Melissa Wood
    Owner/Director
    Rincon, GA

• 7.  RE: Best plays for on line performance

Posted 05-25-2020 14:39
    Thank you! Would love to watch what you do with that script as it is one I have always considered. Thank you for sharing, Melissa Wood!

Fiona Coupar
    Drama Teacher/Theatre Company Director
    Panorama Ridge High School
    Surrey, B.C.

• 8.  RE: Best plays for on line performance

Posted 05-26-2020 10:22
    In my Acting classes, we did Action News from playscripts.com.  This is in a news broadcast format and is flexible in cast size with each actor playing several roles.  I also let each actor create one commercial and one special report.  This worked very well for us. I put it together using iMovie.  We did it as something that was just shared within the classroom rather than in a public platform.

The directors at Assumption High School in Louisville, KY did a zoom version of A Midsummer Night's Dream.  The directors are now preparing a book on how to produce an effective zoom play. Their names are Doug Sumy and Andrew Stairs.

Rebecca Reisert
    St. Xavier High School
    Louisville KY

• 9.  RE: Best plays for on line performance

Posted 07-11-2020 17:28

I'd also keep your eyes out for new plays that are written specifically for virtual performance--or virtual-specific editions of existing plays--as a lot of publishers are starting to release them.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 10.  RE: Best plays for on line performance

Posted 07-15-2020 14:52
    Jonathan,

does that mean you have something in the works?!

Scott Bier
    Whittier, CA

"Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back."

• 11.  RE: Best plays for on line performance

Posted 07-15-2020 18:44
    Yes, thanks for asking! Playscripts will be coming out with a virtual edition of my most produced one-act soon (hope to proof it this afternoon), YouthPLAYS is already starting to come out with virtual titles (not by me), and I have some other shows that I've been working on. I'm stepping down as the chair of the Alliance of Los Angeles Playwrights at the end of the year, which I'm hoping will open up some writing time; it's been a little too much to run a publishing company and a playwrights' organization simultaneously.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA