Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fuenteovejuna

Posted 03-04-2019 12:23
    Is anyone familiar with this script and have an opinion of any of the different translations/adaptations? 
    TIA

------------------------------
    Beth

• 2.  RE: Fuenteovejuna

Posted 03-05-2019 08:26
    I can't say that I'm really familiar with the play, but I do have a copy of it in my classroom library, in an Applause paperback anthology called Life is a Dream and Other Spanish Classics, edited by Eric Bentley.  The translation of Fuente Ovejuna is by Roy Campbell, and is cast in a mix of rhymed and blank verse.  The diction is a little elevated and the syntax is sometimes deliberately archaic - "Stupid discourtesy's the key to naught but hate," for example - but I would say that it's a little less difficult than your average Shakespeare play would be to contemporary high-schoolers.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 3.  RE: Fuenteovejuna

Posted 03-05-2019 08:28
    Fuente Ovejuna just had an excellent performance at Towson University this past fall using the translation by Adrian Mitchell.

https://events.towson.edu/event/fuente_ovejuna_by_lope_de_vega#.XH55F1NKiqA

My personal preference on translations is to read some of it, and see what "feels" like what will work for both actors and audiences.

Scholars may disagree with me, but it's more important for a translation to be a good text as spoken English than it is for every phrase to be as literal a translation of the Spanish as possible.

Nathan Rosen
    Baltimore MD

• 4.  RE: Fuenteovejuna

Posted 03-05-2019 14:27
    I don't have any information on good translations, but personally I love this play. I've seen it multiple times and I think it has one of the most powerful female monologues in classical drama. I've wanted to do it for a while, just never had the right time or the right group of kids.

Kaelynn Earnest
    Teacher
    Rockford Public Schools
    Grand Rapids MI