Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual Variety show rights

Posted 04-09-2021 20:39

Hello all!

I am sure I have seen this discussed before but cannot find it! We would love to do a virtual show of a collection of showtunes- very small scale, maybe 7 numbers- but cannot find a clear way to get the rights. I know that MTI has the rights to the shows, but do you have to use them for individual numbers? you also have to pay ASCAP, BMI, SESAC- or my chorus teacher has the sheet music and gets the rights for chorus concerts- if we don't charge an entrance fee, do we have to go through MTI? 
    We are trying to salvage a Spring performance for our rural school.
    Has anyone done a show like this?
    thank you for any feedback you can provide:)

------------------------------
    Diana Driver

• 2.  RE: Virtual Variety show rights

Posted 04-10-2021 22:00
    Given the strict rules around licensing and copyright, I've avoided trying to piece together any type of review or variety show.  I've discovered the MTI has 10 Minute Musicals you can license.  I've selected 5 that I'm producing this spring.  They are relatively inexpensive and supports new and up and coming writers and composers. 

This might be another option to consider.  :) 

Best of luck!

10-Minute Musicals
    Music Theatre International remove preview
    10-Minute Musicals
    Estimate Your Cost Target Audience: Young Children (Age 2-5), Children (Age 6 - 10) Cast Size: 1M, 1F (Flexible) If we were to select some 10 minute musicals are we allowed to pair them with other scenes during the performance?
    View this on Music Theatre International >

Kristina Cummins
    Theatre Teacher,
    Capital High School
    Co-Chapter Director
    Washington State Thespians

• 3.  RE: Virtual Variety show rights

Posted 04-11-2021 21:02
    Hi there! This can get a little complicated, so check out THIS THREAD from a few months ago for some tips and tricks.

Rosemary Bucher
    Educational Theatre Licensing Coordinator