Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Still Waiting for Security Deposit from Concord

Posted 05-25-2021 08:00
    I normally do not go to a public forum for issues, but enough is enough. My school produced Grease in October of 2019. I returned my materials on time and yet I am still waiting for the security deposit to be returned. The last communication I had from my representative was in November of 2020 when I was told they were processing refunds as quickly as they could. I sent another email last month requesting my refund and have heard nothing in reply. The show closed NINETEEN MONTHS ago. How long do I have to wait to get my security deposit back? Is it time to get the school attorney involved? What do you think would happen to a school that did not pay their obligation to a publishing company for nineteen months? Are they just hoping I will give up and let them keep my school's money? 

I am not trying to be a jerk, but seriously - how long is it going to take to return my school's deposit? I think I have been more than patient. Every communication I have had with Concord has included the proper identification number connected to my production. Has anyone else produced a show in 2019 who is still waiting on their security deposit to be returned?

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    Executive Board of Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

• 2.  RE: Still Waiting for Security Deposit from Concord

Posted 05-26-2021 10:23
    I did not get my money back from Grease until I got the district involved. It was a long, painful process, and I got stonewalled repeatedly until the district contacted them. I gave the district the contract with the relevant parts highlighted, and forwarded them all my email communications, and dates of phone calls.

I got my money back a couple of weeks later.

In my case, I cancelled the show. I was in production when the NBA shut down its season in March, and I cancelled the next day because I figured if the NBA was cancelling billions of dollars, there was no way school was going to stay open. But the contract allowed for cancellations, and I was legally in the right, so the same thing should apply to you. You obviously are entitled to that refund. 

Contact the district. Nothing else gets them to move.

------------------------------
    Jeff Johnson
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Del Oro High School

• 3.  RE: Still Waiting for Security Deposit from Concord

Posted 05-27-2021 09:20

I am waiting for ours from Concord since January 2021.   It's not a year yet.  Hope you get yours. 

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 4.  RE: Still Waiting for Security Deposit from Concord

Posted 05-26-2021 14:48
    Alas, it did take our school 12 months to get our deposit back from our cancelled 3/2020 show . But that was Dramatist's. With all the cuts, it really is taking that long to weed through the wake COVID brought on. But it does seem to me that 19 is extreme. Have you tried getting your District in on the loop for their lawyer's advice? (Or even your Union Lawyer?)

Shari Akers
    Music & Theatre Arts Teacher
    Blaine High School

• 5.  RE: Still Waiting for Security Deposit from Concord

Posted 05-26-2021 16:23
    Hi Ann,

Thank you for posting about your experience with Concord Theatricals. I'm currently looking into this situation and will be in touch with you directly when I have more information.

BILLIE DAVIS
    Vice President, Amateur Licensing
    Concord Theatricals 

Billie Davis
    Concord Theatricals

• 6.  RE: Still Waiting for Security Deposit from Concord

Posted 05-27-2021 12:24
    Sadly I have seen so many similar issues, and all from Concord, which is why I certainly will not be ordering their plays anytime soon. This kind of thing was happening well before the pandemic too.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kamiakin High School