Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  What are your troupe officers responsible for?

Posted 07-14-2015 19:25

We are in our 4th year as a Thespian Troupe and we have had elected officers each year. However, I struggle with what exactly the officers should do. I thought I would reach out and see what all of you do with your officers.

How often do you meet?

Who sets the agenda?

What initiatives/projects/events are your officers responsible for?

How do you really get your officers engaged and to buy in?

What does your role/responsibilities look like as compared to the officers?

Thanks in advance for any/all information, ideas, and thoughts! :) 

------------------------------
    Jennifer Dinndorf
    Plymouth MN

• 2.  RE: What are your troupe officers responsible for?

Posted 07-20-2015 13:22

Jennifer,

We are in the process of starting the first Thespian Troupe at our school.  I've been a troupe director at four different high schools but this is a NEW experience at my current school.

I've been guiding the officers that were chose last spring over the summer to write up job descriptions and to create and write up goals for the year.  I've found the guidelines for achieving Honor Troupe to be very helpful.

Also, if you look at the Thespian Troupe handbook on the schooltheatre.org site you can see different ways to structure your troupe leadership.

I'll post the work my students complete soon.  If I can get copies of what they have done so far I'll forward it to you.

I have found that I need to set work days about every two weeks and gather them together to get this work done.  Free pizza for lunch has worked wonders. 

I hope this helps.

Gretchen Nordleaf-Nelson

West Sound Academy
    Poulsbo WA

• 3.  RE: What are your troupe officers responsible for?

Posted 07-21-2015 15:14

Hello! I've been the sponsor of ITS at Basha for the past 7 years. Here you go.

How often do you meet? 

We have 2 meetings a week. One for the officers and one for the regular. 

Who sets the agenda?

I have an agenda that I go over in the officer meeting and then open it to the officers for any discussions they ahve that weren't already addressed. 

What initiatives/projects/events are your officers responsible for?

They are responsible for fundraising ideas, handling the website, social media, all meeting minutes, and budgeting. They also handle induction and award invitations, decisions, the elections for the following year (Pres and vp only - these 2 are always seniors)

How do you really get your officers engaged and to buy in?

It's usually not an issue. After the inductions are over for the year (about 3 weeks before school ends) the prior years' officers stop coming to the meetings and the new officers take their place. We discuss fundraising ideas, costs, ideas for the following year so the kids have the summer to do research and continue coming up with fundraising ideas.

What does your role/responsibilities look like as compared to the officers?

Although I am "in charge" I try to let my students take an incredibly active role in everything they can. I.T.S. is really for them. I handle all dealings with admin, the actual use of the funds, the season choices, and arranging the times and dates for the actual meetings. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: What are your troupe officers responsible for?

Posted 07-22-2015 06:14

I concur. :)

Great advice given but also wanted to second the idea that ownership/leadership of the troupe officers is down to them. It should not be down to you to do everything and secure everything for them, you have enough things on your plate, I'm sure!

By the same token, don't throw them completely in the deep end! Initially, they'll need guidance through the process of establishing meetings, what happens at those meetings, and so on. I think this coming school year I will hold my elections/whatever earlier, to give the outgoing officers time to train up new officers (as well as see if my second choices/back-ups might need to be called in earlier due to lower than expected results on the officers...)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: What are your troupe officers responsible for?

Posted 07-23-2015 08:45

I agree that it is very dependent upon how you and your troupe.  But I can say that I've been increasing the responsibilities of my board year by year.  Ultimately I oversee all the jobs, but they are put in charge of the execution as much as possible so I can focus more on the classroom and the shows.  We elect most of the board in the spring before the school year ends, we meet and plan over the summer so when the school year starts we get right into business.

They follow the standard operating procedures recommended by EDTA.  But then we look at the needs that we have.

My clerk/scribe is in charge of Thespian Points as well as organizing our play library and our new monologue library.

My secretary is in charge of note taking, record keeping, and help keep paperwork flowing for conferences in case it slips my mind.  They also help keep communication flowing with shows to help the stage managers out.

The treasurers take pictures like crazy and help post information on social media.

The treasurer helps keep track of receipts, financials and organize fundraisers.

The VP is a catch all be all, they are a little bit of everything.  This year we have two, one is in charge of troupe business, one is in charge of communicating with other troupes.

The president oversees all the officers and helps run our student board, as well as the cabinet that we created this year.

Our cabinet is a catch all be all, when the historians need help, they help, if the clerk needs help organizing, the cabinet helps.
    Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV