Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Junior Thespian Festival 2014 - Texas

Posted 02-12-2014 19:47
    Any suggestions on things to do in Dallas after the Junior Thespian Festival ends Sunday afternoon and evening?  Really interested in free and/or inexpensive options.  

Sights?
    Theatres/Shows?
    Museums?
    Tours?

Any info would be helpful!  Thanks.

-------------------------------------------
    Joy Hammond
    Drama Club Sponsor, Teacher

• 2.  RE:Junior Thespian Festival 2014 - Texas

Posted 02-12-2014 23:11
    Are you looking for activities for students or adults? I would be happy to help you find some! 

Thanks 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair

• 3.  RE:Junior Thespian Festival 2014 - Texas

Posted 02-13-2014 08:54
    Hi,

Yes, Plenty!!!!  Do you mind if I ask when you are arriving and leaving?  Viking Drama has a few really fun activities scheduled and there were many other options.  Friday morning, until hotel check in (9am until 2pm), we are going to historic Fort Worth.  There are tons of restaurants, a cowboy hall of frame, rodeo, and much shopping.  There are inexpensive tours available there.  We are doing what is called a step up tour on our own motor coach for only $60.  They drive the longhorns down the middle of the street there to the stockyards twice a day, 11am and 4pm I believe. We are doing the tour, see the longhorns, and giving the kids time to shop and ea there.  
    There is also a very inexpensive group rate available for tours of the Dallas Cowboy Stadium (pretty cool).  There are very inexpensive trolly tours of downtown Dallas (Kennedy historical things, etc.)  

Sunday after Festival, we are going to Grapevine Mills (great town right next to Coppell). They have Grapevine Mills (huge shopping mall with food courts), a lake, a historic steam engine train and clock, an aquarium, etc.  We also got our friend here at Six Flags in Gurnee (Cowboy Chris) to open his dinner theatre (Texas Star Theatre) down there in Grapevine for us.  We are getting the $3,000 venue for $300.  The actors are giving their time freely. Viking Drama also decided to pay $24/person to get a full sit down four course meal during the show.  The kids will be watching a mystery show (Derailed and Departed) and have to solve the crime.  That will begin at 6:00pm on Sunday and we are getting on the road right after the show.

Karen Pionke
    Theatre Teacher
    Gurnee District 56

• 4.  RE:Junior Thespian Festival 2014 - Texas

Posted 02-14-2014 14:02

Karen - those are all great choices.  Being the host school, I am keeping my kids in school all day.   The dinner theater sounds really cool!  Main street Grapevine has a lot of shops and boutiques to wander through as well.  The Theatre is on that main street.  I would be happy to help anyone with arrangements or more suggestions.    Grapevine Mills Mall is an afternoon in itself- the Aquarium is in the mall.  The Lake is most accessible in little city parks around the lake .  There is also the Gaylord Texan Resort - which has a huge atrium representative of all of the areas in Texas.  There is a fee for parking, but the atrium is open to the public (and pretty cool) .  

Please feel free to email or message if anyone needs more info.  We are looking forward to having all of you - and hoping our irascible unpredictable Texas weather cooperates to give us a beautiful early spring weekend. (The high on Wednesday was 35  - The high on Saturday will be 80)

Frances Hazleton
    Theatre Director