Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Make Up Recommendations

Posted 10-08-2019 12:39
    Happy Fall!

We are producing The Little Mermaid this fall and are having a wonderful time so far. I have two questions for my tech people. 

1) We plan on airbrushing Ursula's make-up. I have a few students who are wizard at stage make-up but have never used this kind of equipment before. Nor have I. We would like to purchase a small machine/kit. What recommendations do you have for students/beginners? I am confident in their ability to figure it out, but would like advice on what kind of machine to purchase.

2) At the end of the musical, the script says Ursula "peers over the wall; she's grown to gargantuan size." We would like to do some kind of effect here - I was thinking of having some kind of lift - I've used a small, hydraulic lift for melting the wicked witch before, but that's the extent of it. What have others done? What ideas do you have?

Thanks all! Hoping all of your productions are going well!

• 2.  RE: Make Up Recommendations

Posted 10-09-2019 05:13
    Following.

------------------------------
    Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI

• 3.  RE: Make Up Recommendations

Posted 10-09-2019 08:04
    I am also working on The Little Mermaid. 

I dont know know anything about airbrushing, but we explored a couple of options for that giant scene with Ursula. First we tried a Halloween projector of giant eyes on the scrim that blinked and looked creepy with Ursula calling from offstage. Then we tried a method of just using lighting effects and having Ursula come on stage and knock Eric and the princesses around with her tentacles, making her power figuratively gargantuan.  

Ultimately, we have been using the second method as it seems to make the moment the most dramatic. Not sure if that will help, but it's what we are working on!

Chad Gifford
    Director of Theatre
    Minot ND

• 4.  RE: Make Up Recommendations

Posted 10-09-2019 11:57
    I would recommend checking with Chicago Airbrush, they have all the brands of machines and makeup.  They should be able to recommend the right equipment and makeup for the show.

Gene Flaharty
    Independence MO

• 5.  RE: Make Up Recommendations

Posted 10-16-2019 12:21
    We have a couple of airbrush machines we use for our big body make-ups. I've gotten everything through Norcostco (they're great at helping you get what you need). They actually caught that I accidentally ordered the wrong type of cleaner for the make-up I got, sent an email asking if that was the wrong one and was able to change the order before it shipped to the correct one. Here's a link to their airbrush section https://www.norcostco.com/airbrush.aspx

We have both an Iwata bottle feed and a gravity feed. They both work well for our needs. Are you in a school? You may want to double check on which type of base you are allowed to use. 

Hope this helps!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ