Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Anything Goes

Posted 10-15-2019 14:58
    Has anyone recently performed Anything Goes at the high school level? I watched it several years ago and enjoyed it. We are considering doing the show at our school this year but I just remembered the bits with the "Chinese" men and now I'm hesitant.

We don't have a particularly diverse high school (small town in South Dakota) but we do have several students of Asian descent and the last thing I want to do is offend anyone or make anyone feel less than welcome at our shows. So I guess my main question is this: if you've performed it recently, what did you do about THAT scene? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Cynthia Scherer
    Teacher
    Spearfish SD

• 2.  RE: Anything Goes

Posted 10-16-2019 05:30

We did the original, not the revival, about 10 years ago. So ... it's been a while. We chose the original because I felt the set was easier (just the boat and not the night club first) and some of the music was different. I'm also in a small rural community and simply chose two boys who had dark hair to play those roles. It doesn't need to be derisive ... more of a language barrier. 

I also saw it touring a few years later. 

I have to admit it never crossed my mind to be problematic back then ... we also did Annie Get Your Gun the year prior ... I have since wondered if we'd be able to do it now ... 

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI

• 3.  RE: Anything Goes

Posted 10-16-2019 09:30
    Hi!  We did it last year, and the kids loved it! We talked about the issues, and then just enjoyed the show.

Maria Palassis
    Drama Club & Thespian Society Director
    Cincinnati OH