Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  California Theatre Credential?

Posted 04-18-2019 20:38

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a college student pursuing my BA in Theatre in California. I know that it's been a few years now since the Theatre and Dance credentials were sort-of established, and I've read that it will likely be Fall of 2021 when the first Theatre credential programs start. Unfortunately, I'm going to be graduating in Spring of 2020, and I'm looking to start a credential program that Fall. What I'd like advice about is whether or not to wait a year for the Theatre credential. I just don't know whether it's worth it, because I could just get an English credential and start working sooner. I don't even know which universities will be offering a Theatre credential program in 2021, and so far no one I've talked to seem to know either. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

------------------------------
    Alison Galvin
    Student at CSUF

• 2.  RE: California Theatre Credential?

Posted 04-19-2019 10:46
    If you want to teach in the public school system now I would recommend taking the English credential tests; you will not need to take a future Theater credential. Many theater teachers also start out as English/Theater due to budgets and initial numbers, so without the English portion you may find yourself looking at part time versus full time work. 
    Just my two cents.
    Regards,

Joseph D'Aquino
    Theater Dept Chair
    Costa Mesa CA

• 3.  RE: California Theatre Credential?

Posted 04-19-2019 12:57
    I'd recommend getting an English credential now, so you can start working. The California Theatre credential is coming, but I wouldn't put my career on hold waiting for it. Having two credentials will make you more hire-able down the line.

Good luck!

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher, Retired
    Carmichael, CA