Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Couple more questions...I'm really puzzled with inexperienced guys so couple more

Posted 01-04-2020 20:57
    Questions:
    is Godspell difficult for folks who are just trying theater for the first time?
    Does REN in Footloose have to be a great dancer?
    Is Urintown appropriate for a Christian School?

Do you usually pick a musical not knowing the male talent you have?

------------------------------
    Melinda Carlson

• 2.  RE: Couple more questions...I'm really puzzled with inexperienced guys so couple more

Posted 01-05-2020 07:41
    Hi Melinda,

I'm currently directing Godspell for the second time.  You need some serious singers as there is a lot of harmonizing, belting, and riffing.  Your actors need to be very strong in comedy as well.  Lots of opportunity to be creative--we expanded our cast to 45 and set it in an urban skatepark.  I'm happy to answer any questions you have!

Laura Russo
    Teacher/Director of Theatre Arts
    School District of The Chathams
    Chatham NJ

• 3.  RE: Couple more questions...I'm really puzzled with inexperienced guys so couple more

Posted 01-05-2020 09:40
    Laura,
    I would love to know more about how you are using 45 kids in Godspell.  How are you costuming since it's in a skatepark?  Can I lower the key for Jesus and not lose the integrity of song or character?
    thank you,
    Melinda

Melinda Carlson

• 4.  RE: Couple more questions...I'm really puzzled with inexperienced guys so couple more

Posted 01-05-2020 09:47

Melinda,

1) Godspell requires some strong singers and belters, but is a really open and imaginative show directing-wise.
    2) Ren absolutely has to be a good dancer.  It's the whole point of the show - that he's bringing dance to a town that's been stifled.
    3) Urinetown would likely not fly at Christian school, no - but it's a terrific show.

4) You should consider all your talent, if possible, when selecting a show.  Then you'll know if you have options for your piece or not!

You may want to consider something along the lines of a song cycle for your first show.  Less dance and plot heavy; more focused on singing, strong blocking, and character work.  It will give you a chance to get to know your students and their abilities, too, without being overwhelming.  Check out Theory of Relativity and Songs for a New World.  They may need a little editing for content for a Christian school (check w/ publishers), but won't be too overwhelming.

BEST OF LUCK!  You can do this :-)

Karen Ruth
    Head Theatre Director
    Coppell High School
    Coppell, TX

• 5.  RE: Couple more questions...I'm really puzzled with inexperienced guys so couple more

Posted 01-05-2020 10:22
    Consider a "Talent Pool Audition" to help you decide what show to pick.
    We've shifted gears a couple of times as a result of doing this, and that really helped!

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 6.  RE: Couple more questions...I'm really puzzled with inexperienced guys so couple more

Posted 01-06-2020 10:46
    I'm curious about this idea, as the numbers are very unpredictable at my school.  How far in advance do you do a "Talent Pool Audition"?  Do you ask for a firm commitment from those auditioning at that point, or not until later?

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Lincoln MA