Open Forum

View Only

Lion King HS

• 1.  Lion King HS

Posted 10-15-2019 08:48
    Just wondering if any of you have done The Lion King for High Schoolers??
    It is one show we are looking at, but the young/old nala and simba have me really looking at casting concerns.
    I've thought about bringing in middle schoolers, but that takes two roles from MY students... How did ya'll handle this if you'be done it?

--
    Erika Trahan
    Kaplan High School
    Speech and Theatre

• 2.  RE: Lion King HS

Posted 10-15-2019 11:12
    While I haven't done Lion King I have done other multiple shows where middle school students are included in the cast. We do have an accelerated middle school on our campus so I"m not actually leaving my campus to cast. That being said, I use the freshman on campus for the younger characters in the cast (unless the parts are specifically for much younger actors). For example, I used 7th graders for both Gavroche and Little Cosette when we did Les Mis several years ago. I've never had any issues from students or parents when I cast this way because it is obviously written into the script for a younger actors to have these roles. It also helps create the illusion of maturity on the part of the high school students when the parts for children are performed by students who are 4-5 years younger than their "parents".

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Lion King HS

Posted 10-17-2019 20:01
    I always triple check. I've used kids/adults/whoever for years. I did The Phantom of the Opera last year, and it specifically states cast must be grades 9-12 and enrolled in the school doing the performance. Luckily I didn't need anyone else for casting but would have been great to have some extra local dancers who already graduated. 

And I love explaining how royalties work to theatre outsiders-they think we magically put anything on stage at any time. Just had a grad school classmate tell me her school was doing LK. I started asking questions. They were just making up their own script!! That was an awkward conversation 😬.

Veronica Stephenson
    Teacher/Director
    Enterprise AL

• 4.  RE: Lion King HS

Posted 10-16-2019 05:37
    As far as I understand, Lion King is not available for High School productions. The MTI Jr. And LK Experience materials specifically state that they are for middle school and younger.
    I suggest calling you MTI rep before moving forward.

Brian Bozanich
    Director of Theatre
    Maumee Valley Country Day School
    Toledo OH

• 5.  RE: Lion King HS

Posted 10-16-2019 08:15
    Yeah, it is not available.  And you don't want to get involved in a situation like this:
    https://wtkr.com/2018/04/27/suffolk-high-school-production-of-the-lion-king-canceled-after-copyright-concerns-rise/

Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Visual & Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 6.  RE: Lion King HS

Posted 10-16-2019 08:23
    Hmmm that's interesting. The website updated its restrictions and it says no performers over 18 years old. So I read that as they are now allowing HS.
    Maybe I am understanding it wrong. I'll email my rep before making a final decision. Thanks.

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 7.  RE: Lion King HS

Posted 10-17-2019 19:52
    Some Jr. shows restrict (I did LK last year-no high school kids), some do not (Once On This Island, Jr.-up to 18 years old). Check carefully. Don't believe it unless you read it in the contract.

Veronica Stephenson
    Teacher/Director
    Enterprise AL

• 8.  RE: Lion King HS

Posted 10-18-2019 09:20
    I thought that to be true too, but I just checked the MTI website and called our regional rep. The JR. version is now available for school AND community licensing, with a cast of 18 and under. Like Frozen JR. they do have limits on the length of the run, ticket price, size of the audience, and number of tickets allowed, but those limits are not too bad under the circumstances.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 9.  RE: Lion King HS

Posted 10-19-2019 11:45
    Nice change. Allows for a full collaboration with middle school/high school programs. But I actually enjoyed having my hs students be pushed off stage (that was hard for them at first but they learned so much) and in the roles of producers. It was a great experience. Doing the same with Aladdin, Jr. this year.

Veronica Stephenson
    Teacher/Director
    Enterprise AL

• 10.  RE: Lion King HS

Posted 10-22-2019 12:13
    Great find Josh!​

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School