Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Playback Theatre

Posted 02-15-2020 16:24
    At the EDTA National  conference in Denver, CO, I took a workshop on Playback Theatre and loved it!  I have a group of friends who want to start a playback theatre company, but we need more training and exposure to it. 

1. Has anyone on this forum done this type of theatre? 
    2. Do you know anyone who you could refer me to who performs playback regularly?
    3. Do you know of any playback performances on the Mid- East Coast (I live in Maryland between Baltimore and Washington D.C.)?

I have done an internet search, but have not had a lot of luck finding local programs - I would be willing to travel to Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia or West Virginia to watch a show.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 2.  RE: Playback Theatre

Posted 02-18-2020 10:05
    Hi Marla! @Gordon Hensley taught that workshop at Conference. He would be a great resource for you.

Ginny Butsch
    Community Engagement Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Playback Theatre

Posted 02-25-2020 03:15
    Hi Maria:

This summer the Tennessee Arts Academy will offer a weeklong core session in Playback Theatre. The session will be taught by Tim Van Ness. Tim is a certified Playback Theatre instructor. Here is a link to information on his session. You can also read his biography on this page. The secondary theatre sessions will also feature a core workshop on characterization taught by Neil Patrick Stewart and a Knight Thompson Speechwork core class taught by Foster Johns. In addition to the daily core classes, each day features a nationally recognized speaker, performances (including a leading Broadway actor), special events, and plenty of time to network. The Academy is really an incredible experience!

Check out the Academy website at www.tennesseeartsacademy.org/ The Tennessee Arts Academy is a weeklong professional development institute for K-12 music, theatre, and visual art instructors. It is hosted on the campus of Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee and is now in its 34th year. The dates for the 2020 Academy are July 12-17. Registration is open and can be accessed by going to the website.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional information. 

Frank Bluestein

E. Frank Bluestein
    Executive Director
    Tennessee Arts Academy
    Nashville, Tennessee
    efbluestein@gmail.com
    615-460-5451

• 4.  RE: Playback Theatre

Posted 02-26-2020 09:45
    I am so excited about this class at the Tennessee Arts Academy. WHICH IS NOT JUST FOR TENNESSEE TEACHERS (because they have let this Florida gal go for the past two years!)

Really, it is an amazingly FULL week of instruction on a Theatre track for teachers PLUS inspiration from many other artists, mentors, and musers who encourage and support us in our teaching. And you are constantly surrounded by other arts teachers! It is like summer camp for Arts Teachers all in the fun city of Nashville, Tennessee!

Check out the faculty who will be working with theatre teachers EVERY DAY (not just one workshop session BUT 5 DAYS IN A ROW) Tennessee Arts Academyhttp://www.tennesseeartsacademy.org/workshops-faculty/theatre.aspx .

I don't think there is another summer opportunity that matches up to the TAA (in several areas: affordability, great city to be in, support, professional opportunities, & high quality instruction for teachers!) Hope to see some of you there this summer!

Lea Marshall
    Theatre Teacher/Troupe #1429 Director
    Leon High School
    Tallahassee FL
    LeonTheatre.com