Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Show for an elementary school audience

Posted 05-21-2021 09:14

My Advanced Drama class would like to perform for the elementary schools next year. I would prefer to do a scripted show and not one that we have written. I figure an hour at most, and we will have 20+ students in the cast.  For those of you who have done something like this, what shows have worked for you?

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 2.  RE: Show for an elementary school audience

Posted 05-22-2021 06:14
    Charlotte’s Web is always a good one and has always been popular.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Show for an elementary school audience

Posted 05-24-2021 10:21
    We are going to do a major purge of our costume collection - our new space has limited storage space... and we have a bunch of SUPER CUTE animal costumes - and spider - for Charlotte's Web.  

Send me an email if you want to see photos - or to keep you updated as we begin our summer project of organizing/cleaning.   We are in PA - but I think we could ship these... let's play "Let's Make A Deal"  ;-)
    Missy
    Penn Manor HS
    Millersville PA 

• 4.  RE: Show for an elementary school audience

Posted 05-22-2021 07:38

My advanced group has done this every spring for many years. Most years it has been really fun (and a little stressful because some of the seniors get really flaky toward the end of the year). 

Some of my favorites have been Ramona Quimby and Around the World in 8 Plays. We have also done some mini musicals and so we loved James and the Giant Peach and The Stinky Cheeseman. I've found that choosing stories the kids have heard of or read in the past works the best. 

We always do a talk back after the show also ... and the high school kids really get into it and I feel it helps promote the high school program.  I have kids who come audition simply because they remember seeing a show in elementary school. 

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    Ogemaw Heights High School

• 5.  RE: Show for an elementary school audience

Posted 05-22-2021 09:15
    My advanced middle school group just performed some great student directed one acts that would be great for this situation.  Check out 15 Reasons NOT to be in a Play available from Playscripts and The Day Aliens Attacked Fairfield: The Town Where Nothing Ever Happens from Pioneer Drama.  They were fun to do, had flexible casting, and you could go simple or elaborate with costumes and set.

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Westwood Middle School

• 6.  RE: Show for an elementary school audience

Posted 05-22-2021 12:27
    Look at A YEAR WITH FROG AND TOAD through MTI.... Great show. we toured elementary schools with it, and kids all loved it. Easy to costume, set piece very manageable.

--
    Ginger Latimer
    Madera South High School
    Performing Arts Chair
    705 West Pecan Ave., Madera, CA. 93637
    559-675-4450 #1021

Support Arts in Education

• 7.  RE: Show for an elementary school audience

Posted 05-23-2021 10:10
    Try How I Became a Pirate. TRW has it. It is a musical. Very small cast and absolutely tremendously fun.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled.

Kelly Thomas

Poteet Pirate Players

Mesquite, TX

• 8.  RE: Show for an elementary school audience

Posted 05-24-2021 07:37
    Dear Edwina Jr and Schoolhouse Rock Live Jr would both be great. We are planning Seussical Jr for the fall.

Dianne Rowe
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Junior Thespian Troupe 88177
    Berry Middle School
    bit.ly/BerryDrama
    Birmingham, AL

• 9.  RE: Show for an elementary school audience

Posted 05-25-2021 12:45
    Fabulous Fable Factory. Lots of characters.