Open Forum

View Only

Radio Show

• 1.  Radio Show

Posted 07-28-2020 11:21
    Hi there...I could swear I read somewhere in the overwhelming amount of online information as so late, that there was an adapted version of Dracula for a Radio show...so not the one that is live on stage and you see the background people etc. but an actual radio show. (You could stream as a podcast or whatever). thought this would be a cool fundraiser for our HS theatre program to release around Halloween. 

Anyone hear of this? Know what I am talking about? Am I just crazy ? LOL that is always a possibility

Thanks

------------------------------
    Julie Malloy
    Vocal Music Director/Theatre Director
    Shrine Catholic High School
    Royal Oak MI

• 2.  RE: Radio Show

Posted 07-28-2020 12:04
    I suggest you to Tony Palermo's site, www.ruyasonic.com to check out what he has.  He deals with radio theater scripts.  I don't remember Dracula, however.  His plays are in the 30-60 minute range.

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 3.  RE: Radio Show

Posted 07-28-2020 13:02
    Thank you!

Julie Malloy
    Royal Oak MI

• 4.  RE: Radio Show

Posted 07-29-2020 15:02
    Hello,
    I, too, was looking to do some radio shows and Dracula was on my list for the same time frame. I believe there is a script online at either dramatic publishing or dramatists. Good luck with your fall semester.

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 5.  RE: Radio Show

Posted 07-29-2020 15:46
    Thank you James! I will look on both of these

Julie Malloy
    Royal Oak MI

• 6.  RE: Radio Show

Posted 07-30-2020 09:13
    My fellow SAG-AFTRA Radio Play Committee members recommend searching  for simplyscripts old time radio. There are many radio scripts from The Golden Age of Radio broadcasts. 
    I have used the scripts with middle and high school students. We outfitted actors with period costumes, created a radio station set and had some interested students create Foley effects. 
    The scripts can be easily adapted for digital performances. 

• 7.  RE: Radio Show

Posted 07-30-2020 19:25
    Hi Gai,

Is there a way to verify which of the scripts on simplyscripts is actually in the public domain? For example, I saw Sorry, Wrong Number on the site and know that the performance rights for that script are held by Dramatists (and that they unfortunately will not allow streaming).

Ben Cossitor
    Drama Director
    Altoona Area High School
    Altoona, PA

• 8.  RE: Radio Show

Posted 07-31-2020 10:24
    Piggy backing off the public domain, does anyone know if we can use the scripts from Prairie Home Companion shows? Not the movie, but the actual radio shows?

If we can use those, can we do it digitally?

Sara Danke Lukaszewicz
    Lincoln High School
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI

• 9.  RE: Radio Show

Posted 08-01-2020 05:53
    Yes. Go to their website at garrisonkeillor.com. You can get the scripts and apply for rights.

Sent from my iPad

• 10.  RE: Radio Show

Posted 08-02-2020 10:39
    Ben, I'm glad I came across your question. My (mis?) understanding was that all scripts on simplyscripts were in public domain. I was looking at Sorry, Wrong Number as an option as well. I will consult with Dramatists. Could it be that they have the rights if staged as a play? 

Tracy Herber
    Theatre Director/Performing Arts Chair
    Kansas City MO

• 11.  RE: Radio Show

Posted 08-02-2020 16:40
    Most of the radio scripts are public domain because up till 1976 authors and estates had to renew their copyright after 28 years. Many didn't bother, so they were already public domain when Congress extended copyright in 1975. Some scripts, like Sorry Wrong Number, were renewed and are still copyrighted thanks to the extensions on corporate copyright that Congress has subsequently passed. It wouldn't matter if you produced it for stage or any other medium. Dramatists informed me that Sorry Wrong Number is NOT going to be granted streaming rights (most likely because it was a movie and the media rights are held by a film production company). 

Mr. Benjamin Cossitor
    Drama Director and English/Gifted Support Teacher
    Altoona Area High School
    1415 6th Ave
    Altoona, PA 16602
    (814) 505-1510 x8822

• 12.  RE: Radio Show

Posted 07-29-2020 15:32
    Hi,
    The Dracula podcast you are looking for is by Gordon Greenberrg and Steve Rosen.   Gordon shared his experience during  the recent Broadway Teacher Workshop summer conference (webinar format).

You can listen to it and license it for performance here:
    https://www.greenbergandrosen.com/dracula-a-comedy-of-terrors

Tiffany Daily
    San Mateo CA

• 13.  RE: Radio Show

Posted 07-29-2020 15:47
    Tiffany!!!!! This is where I saw it!!! YES YES YES thank you so much!

Julie Malloy
    Royal Oak MI