Open Forum

View Only

Thriller or Horror Plays

• 1.  Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-19-2016 10:18

Hello - 

I am teaching an advanced theatre studies class next year and my students have expressed interest in studying thriller or horror plays. 

We will spend the semester reading and understanding genre and then produce a play. Any suggestions on quality literary works? 

------------------------------
    Alex Moore
    Theatre Arts Director
    St. Louis MO

• 2.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-19-2016 10:30

Very Still and Hard to See

very still & hard to see

Samuelfrench remove preview
    very still & hard to see
    Customer Service available Mon - Fri 9am to 9pm EST Sat & Sun 1pm to 8pm EST
    View this on Samuelfrench >

"This short play cycle recounts the history of a cursed hotel and the unfortunate guests who stay there. From riding in an erratic elevator and dealing with possessive ghosts to managing an ever-expanding hole in the floor armed only with gleaning supplies, these encounters with the unkown chillingly collapse the distance between the real and the surreal and remind us that, sometimes, bad things do happen for a reason."

It is about 70 minutes long.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-19-2016 12:18

I'm a fan of Dracula, Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and Frankenstein. There are multiple options for each so would allow for different interpretations on the stories.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-20-2016 06:37
    I love Arsenic and Old Lace - comedy plus thriller.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-21-2016 10:47

We did a new, original play at Halloween this last year.  It is a modern play based on the classic ghost story. 4m 4f.  About 60 minutes.  It is called "The Haunting of Hannibal House".  Huge success, kids loved it, audiences loved it, screams filled the theater. 

If you are interested, I can get you a perusal script.

Jeremy Riggs
    Theatre Teacher
    Olathe South High School
    Olathe KS

• 6.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-22-2016 20:00

If possible, I would love a perusal script of the new 60 minute horror play. My email is jbeck@paparts.org

Thank you!

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 7.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-20-2016 10:23
    Im a big fan of Wait Until Dark.

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-20-2016 07:30
    We did "The Bad Seed" several years ago and it was really creepy.  It also has a lot of interesting characters.  I highly recommend it.

--
    Allan Dodson
    Fine Arts Department
    Blessed Trinity High School

• 9.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-20-2016 11:10
    Check out "The Enigma Variations" by Eric Emmanuel Schmitt (Dramatists Play Service, I believe). It's extremely well written with unbelievable twists and turns and suspense.

--

"The mission of The Sharon Academy is to nurture intelligent, independent, and creative thinking in a small school community, awakening students to their immense potential and the difference they can make in the world." 

• 10.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-20-2016 12:19

I'm very fond of Ray Bradbury's "The Veldt."  It's your typical, Family buys futuristic playroom, kids keep going to the African Veldt, lions are always "over there, eating something,"  kids bring playroom to life, and lions eat parents, story!  Fun for the whole family!

I've tied it to his "Kaleidoscope," where 7 astronauts are flung in separate directions from their exploded spaceship. They each say goodbye, "turn off" their communication device and fly off to die. The play is poetry. 

And to complete "An Evening of Ray Bradbury," I've added a few other one acts  "The Murderer," and "To the Chicagp Abyss."  Bradbury's plays are some of the most insanely underrated and gorgeous works. 

These are all done with minimal sets, but massive amounts of lights and sound, if possible.  I've done this three times at different schools, always a hit  

Jay Bloomrosen
    Theater Teacher
    Palm Beach School District
    Lake Worth FL

• 11.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-21-2016 07:07
    I like Something wicked this way comes, too!

Sent from my iPad

• 12.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-20-2016 14:46

Hi, Shuddersome by Lindsay Price is a great adaptation of Poe's work and allows for interesting ensemble & movement work.

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 13.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-21-2016 11:00

Neighborhood 3: Requisition of Doom by Jennifer Haley is fabulous and relevant to today's video culture.

Kimberly Taylor
    Oakland CA

• 14.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-22-2016 07:46

I wrote "The Legend of Cathy" for our fall semester play in October and it was the most attended, most talked about play in the history of our theatre program. It was about our school's theatre ghost and we took advantage of the side curtains in our theater to scare the day lights out of the students. They LOVED it and have even requested a sequel!

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS

• 15.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-22-2016 08:36

Night of the Living Dead is fun. Follows the classic movie exactly.

Also, try Grand Guignol style plays.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 16.  RE: Thriller or Horror Plays

Posted 02-22-2016 16:57

My kids do Arsenic and Old Lace and love it. I've also done The Moustrap or And Then There Were None.

Amber Goodspeed
    Teacher/Director
    School District of Superior
    Superior WI