Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Gender Bent or Gender Blind Shows

Posted 10-06-2015 13:17

My students are really interested in this concept, but I've never seen it done with anything besides Shakespeare.  Does anyone know of any shows that allow you to do this?  Are good for this idea?

------------------------------
    Jessica Harms
    Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
    Lawrence MA

• 2.  RE: Gender Bent or Gender Blind Shows

Posted 10-06-2015 16:43

Sigh. Hard questions....:)

We did West Side Story, and we didn't modernize or do anything that was against the copyright/license restrictions. We did have lots of boys, but we did have to supplement a little with girls for the Jet and Shark speaking roles, which added an interesting dynamic. Anybody's was also played by an elementary aged school kid (female), so the question discretely arises that the Jets don't want her in the gang a) because she's a girl but b) because she is really too young to be there, and do they subconsciously try to scare her off because they don't want her to have the life they have?

All unstated and from thoughtful reflection, of course.

I have always cast a female for the role of Tiresias in 'Antigone'. Just find that adds an interesting dimension to the play.

It feels harder to do gender blind casting in modern/contemporary pieces. I performed in a production of 'True West' where Sal (the agent) was a female (which kinda sickeningly worked, in a twisted way), but I'd be interested to see that gender twisted, and the fight between two sisters...

Great question, though! Interested to see the responses... 

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Gender Bent or Gender Blind Shows

Posted 10-06-2015 17:41

Not really the same, but I just attended Southern Utah University's production of "Hamlet" at the Utah Shakespeare Festival -- it was fantastic!! Hamlet was a WOMAN -- played by a woman!  Not a woman playing a man -- genders REVERSED!! For everybody!!!  Kudos to director Peter Sham, and actress Halie Merrill, who took on the role -- she was excellent! 

https://www.suu.edu/pva/pdf/press/2015/2015-09-22-hamlet-pr.pdf

Paul Townsend
    Scottsdale AZ

• 4.  RE: Gender Bent or Gender Blind Shows

Posted 10-09-2015 00:37

Paul,I'm sorry, but I must disagree. I saw the same gender reversed production of Hamlet at SUU last weekend and I really did not like it at all. Hailey was not strong in the role & I felt it ridiculed the relationships within the play.  I love Shakespeare's works and am always intrigued when I see it done creatively. I love the idea of gender fluidity for plays, but I don't feel that cast or director did it well at all.  I really could not stop laughing at "get thee to a monastery."  It doesn't have the same meaning or strength. The rock opera of play within a play was ridiculous &  appalling.  With that said, I think a director should look closely at how gender reversed roles affect the story, the characters, & the message before making these decisions.

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 5.  RE: Gender Bent or Gender Blind Shows

Posted 10-06-2015 21:15

One of my dream projects is to do Damn Yankees, but with every role gender-switched. Part of the reason is just to see a boy take on "Whatever Lola Wants," but the main reason would be so show just how sexist the play is. It's repugnant to me that Joe's wife is so doting and welcomes him back with barely a question of where he's been.  And I still don't see why Applegate doesn't just drag Joe down to hell, considering he broke the agreement. I think having a doting husband who waits for his wife to return would point this out.

Of course, the audience might not want to see this, and it might violate the terms of production. 

That said, I've gender-swapped Bob: A Life In Five Acts (in two acts, Bob was played by a girl) and Spamalot (Brave Sir Robin, Patsy, Bedevere and the Minstrel). 

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 6.  RE: Gender Bent or Gender Blind Shows

Posted 10-07-2015 07:20

What I find particularly interesting about this concept right now is that gender has become a more fluid concept in recent years and it has affected my productions. I have several transgender/questioning students who don't want to audition for their born-as-gender roles and want to audition for the roles they are actually comfortable with portraying at this stage of their growth and development. I am taking it role by role and having conversations with the students as I make decisions. I find they are very willing to think out what is best for the show and the character- for some characters it's been flexible and for some it's not been so. It certainly makes things more interesting!
    April Fritts
    Teacher
    Cecil County Public Schools
    North East MD

• 7.  RE: Gender Bent or Gender Blind Shows

Posted 10-07-2015 10:25

A few years ago I produced The Somewhat True Tale of Robin Hood from Dramatic Publishing. My strongest actor was a female. So, I thought ... why not gender bend this show. It was one of the most hysterical shows ever! Lady Marian and her assistant were guys, the king was a woman, all of the merry men were women. The fawning ladies were men - complete with beards and chest hair (totally natural) It worked perfectly. I had a school come see the show and they did it a few years before. They said this was an exceptional way to perform it. This worked especially well because I had many more girls than guys for the show.

Good luck!

Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron, IN

• 8.  RE: Gender Bent or Gender Blind Shows

Posted 10-08-2015 05:24

I am going up with a show on Monday night that is an interesting way to let students explore gender bending, gender identity and same-sex relationships, as well as "conventional" relationships that have a twist as well.  We are doing a "miscast" cabaret that we've titled BEND.  We've created a story line for each performer that is woven through songs from different musicals.  Because this is a concert/cabaret and nothing is "in situ", only individual song royalties are in play, so this should be covered by your district ascap/bmi licensing.  Here are some program notes, just to illustrate a bit what we are doing:

Our story this evening is not your typical "miscast" cabaret. Rather, we are reinterpreting and revisiting the music that has made us laugh and made us cry, therefore BENDing the songs. Taking a solo and turning it into a duet, seeing two woman sing a love song originally performed by a man and a woman, or listening to a song typically filled with a full orchestration stripped back with nothing more than an acoustic guitar.

Enter our company of characters. Each and every song you see tonight has been carefully selected to create a storyline for each performer, weaving a framework of songs across the musical theatre canon. Three couples will travel the road of love and loss, and discovery and doubt, accompanied by an all-knowing overseer, a wandering romantic and a fierce, inspiring drag queen.

Some examples of what we are doing (there are 3 couples, m/m, f/f, and m/f): 

Marry Me a Little  - sung by a woman to a man where she proposes to him.  The bend is that it is a male song, and also that "conventionally" the man usually proposes. 

There are Worse Things I Could Do - turned into a duet with two men, without pronoun changes. 

Some Things are Meant to Be - sung by two men as a break up song instead of about the death of a sister.

Her Voice - sung by a woman without pronoun changes.

Nothing Short of Wonderful - sung by a man getting ready for a date instead of a woman.

Natural Woman - sung by an alumni who is a local and well known drag queen. 

And my favorite number is Losing My Mind - we are doing this with a young man singing it with acoustic guitar and his arrangement is stunning.  Very very different from the original, and I've never heard Sondheim done quite this way before. 

There are a total of 35 songs that we weave the different characters through, with an ending ensemble song that wraps everything up.  The difficulty was narrowing down the songs to make sure that each could be justified with the story line without dialog - so just with the written lyrics and staging. 

We are having a BLAST, and I can't wait for the show Monday night. It should also be noted that this is a fundraiser concert and not part of our regular season, and includes 3 alumni.  So we have a little more leeway on content.  However, the songs are actually quite tame (There are Worse Things is the raciest of the bunch), but we've put a content warning on it because of the same-sex couples (which should actually be G rated...but that's a whole 'nother rant.) 

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it's a great way to explore gender bending/expression/issues.  S.

Shileah Corey
    Mountlake Terrace WA

• 9.  RE: Gender Bent or Gender Blind Shows

Posted 10-09-2015 10:08

This is really interesting. I'd be interested in others who have do work or created work that allows students to explore issues of gender identity.

Lisa DiFranza
    Assistant Principal for Arts Education
    Palmetto FL

• 10.  RE: Gender Bent or Gender Blind Shows

Posted 10-08-2015 07:11

I just started at an all-girls school and am introducing the idea of gender reversed casting with Julius Caesar.  It opens tomorrow and has been fantastic to see with women in the powerful political struggle.  There is something about Shakespeare that makes it fly more easily, somehow, with the audience.

I plan on doing The Hobbit gender blind cast next year.  It should be easy to cross cast.

Katy Mulvaney
    Houston TX