Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  12 Angry Jurors Set Materials Help!

Posted 01-17-2017 16:49
    I found this set model by Jenna Josepher. I am intrigued with the ceiling treatment and am interested in creating this kind of idea for my current show.  I cannot figure out how to make this happen in my space. I have a small black box with a cement ceiling that has an 18 inch drop ceiling already in place.  Unfortunately we cannot use the existing drop ceiling. Any suggestions on how to create this with something that would be fairly light weight and only need to be attached at the front and back?  I need to span approximately 22 feet - width at back 16'  width at front 1'.

Thanks in advance for helping me figure this out!

------------------------------
    Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 2.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Set Materials Help!

Posted 01-18-2017 08:37
    Styrofoam sheets?  Foam core board?
    Almost anything is going to need more attachment points than front and back.

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre] [Pleasant Valley High School] [myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 3.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Set Materials Help!

Posted 01-18-2017 11:18
    I would try to use a gobo pattern in an ellipsoidal or two to see if that would produce the desired effect.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Set Materials Help!

Posted 01-19-2017 09:46
    Hi Amy, 
    First the disclaimer: everything here is based on a guess. I would try making one truss first before buying lots of supplies.  I have made shorter trusses this way for decorative purposes but not at a 25 foot length. 

For the Truss:
    I would try bending remesh into 6" equilateral cross section triangle trusses up to 25' long.  Then use  Coroplast panels zip tied to the truss for the ceiling panels. Attach the wire or rope to hold up each truss about 5 feet from the end of the truss. And tie it off to your ceiling anchor points.  

Remesh wire looks like heavy wire fencing. It is found in building supply stores and used for concrete work and making heavy duty tomato cages. The rolls are 5' wide and 50' or 150' long.  It is about $35 for 50 feet or $100 for 150feet. I recommend using 50feet. It is easier to handle that size roll.  The mesh is 6" square.  Cut a length equal to the truss length.  Wear safety glasses and gloves.  Have trusted people hold down the wire. It springs back!  Cut through the middle of the fourth squares from the edges using a small bolt cutter. You will get two trusses from this and a scrap piece from the middle. 
    (The five foot wide roll is 10 squares wide). 
    Gently fold (try not to break the welds) the wire into the triangle cross section. Bend the cut wire tabs over to hold the truss sides together.  

For the Ceiling panels: 
    Coroplast is the corrugated plastic panel used for yard signs. You can buy 4x8 sheets for about $12. It comes in many colors. There is a "natural" that is kind of translucent.  I make straight cuts on a table saw.  It cuts easily with a box cutter. 
    Have fun. 

Bob Sedoff
    Board member Mn chapter EdTA
    Sedoff, Inc.
    Edina High School, MN
    Bobsedoff@hotmail.com

• 5.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Set Materials Help!

Posted 01-19-2017 15:58
    Thanks so much!

We are finalizing our design and all the suggestions are very helpful!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO