Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  James and the Giant Peach

Posted 08-20-2017 20:18
    We are doing James and the Giant Peach this fall. I have wonderful collaborators, but have never directed a musical before. Suggestions for this show? Suggestions in general?  Thanks, all! 

• 2.  RE: James and the Giant Peach

Posted 08-21-2017 12:35
    That show is on a short list of possible musicals for this year. I don't make my final decision until the winter after the play which I also have yet to select. I think it's a great choice because it was written with young performers in mind, and Benj Pasek and Justin Paul are so big right now. 

For your first musical, as you've stated you have great collaborators, make sure roles and responsibilities are clearly delineated, but also evenly distributed. You don't want to burn yourself out, or spread yourself too thin. Make a list of things that need to be done, and make sure you're not doing half of them.

Get as many people involved as you can. You don't have to focus entirely on your production team. See how other members of your faculty are able and willing to contribute. See how parents are able assist you. And it doesn't necessarily have to be parents of students in the show. If your school has a thriving Parents Association, survey parents to see what talents and resources they have that you can tap.

I don't know if a musical director is a part of your team, but if not, get one. Having a strong musical director is essential. 

Allow your students to be a part of the creative process as much as possible. Even if they don't have the skills, but are eager to learn, they can be an asset in the future. 

The greatest special effect is your audiences imagination. I read this script and wondered how I would ever make the peach happen on my stage, and I'd be interested to find out how you ultimately achieve it. But even without the spectacle you can create something spectacular if you create and commit to something simple that everyone can believe in.

------------------------------
    Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY
    ------------------------------