Open Forum

View Only

casting by committee

• 1.  casting by committee

Posted 08-15-2018 17:30
    This year my school (and I) have decided to do casting for the shows by a committee.  I currently have 6 of us lined up to observe auditions and be involved in the casting process.  I'm curious if any of you have down group casting like this and how you organized the process?  Any tips or suggestions for coordinating?

------------------------------
    Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    Omaha NE

• 2.  RE: casting by committee

Posted 08-16-2018 04:51
    I started using a casting committee when my own kids were in my program, to avoid accusations of bias.
    It's important to make sure everyone knows that the final decision is still yours, but that their input is important.
    I have used fellow teachers in a casting committee, ans sometimes students, especially when they are part of the production team.
    Most of the students who have been through the behind-the-doors casting process with me get a new appreciation of just how hard it is, and agree with my theory that it has much more to do with math than it does personalities.

good luck!

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher, Retired
    Carmichael, CA

• 3.  RE: casting by committee

Posted 08-16-2018 06:47

I have used a casting committee for twelve years now and love it. I think it is important to spell out the rules to both the committee and the students/parents/ admin. so everyone knows what the criteria are. So for example, my rules are: The casting panel will only use what they see in the audition to evaluate students - though past student contract violations can be considered (skipping rehearsal, lateness, etc). The panel must come to consensus on every decision,  and grade level only counts if all else is equal.

The other thing I do is try to be flexible - I used to give them sheets with evaluation rubrics on them and space for notes, but noticed that some would use only the notes, some found the rubric confusing, etc. so now I just give them pads and let them evaluate how they wish. 

Finally, when I switched to the panel, I was responding to parent complaints about casting. I had a few kids who were always the leads - because they were legit head and shoulders above everyone else, though certain parents could not see it (everyone else could). So I decided if I was going to panel cast I would really do it. I surrendered all power. So I do not cast. I try to say as little as possible at the casting. I facilitate, I describe what the roles require, I try to make sure the panel follows the rules (especially when they start bringing up past experiences with kids) and I legit let them cast the show. And every show they cast at least slightly - sometimes very - differently than I would have, and every show they have proven to be right. It is both scary as hell and wonderfully liberating. It takes a lot of faith, but if you can muster it, I think it's well worth it, 

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 4.  RE: casting by committee

Posted 08-17-2018 11:02
    Right now, I have no choice but to cast by committee, as my 11th grade daughter is in our program. I have to make sure that it's very clear that she is not getting special treatment. Last year, she was one of two finalists for Mimi in "Rent." We had both girls come in for a "supercallback," and I brought in an administrator, my vocal director and our choreographer. I took video of the final audition and recused myself of the decision.

I bring my husband in on auditions for the plays because he doesn't know the kids that well, and gives us better perspectives on the talent, when the personality is an issue for those of us who know the kid.

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 5.  RE: casting by committee

Posted 08-16-2018 07:42
    At my school, there is always at least two people int he room but the director does the casting. I don't know how it could be done any other way.

FOr the musical, the music director and the choreographer have input but in the end the director is making the final decisions.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 6.  RE: casting by committee

Posted 08-16-2018 07:46
    Personally, I definitely prefer this method. I like it because while I have the final say (and everyone understands that), people sometimes see things that I miss.

I usually just have everyone stationed in different places in the room or auditorium, which is, in my opinion, less intimidating. Each are equipped with a copy of the sides for review, the character breakdown, and paper/pen. I use runners to go between us if anyone needs to message me.

Kind Regards,

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 7.  RE: casting by committee

Posted 08-16-2018 09:43
    ​Good morning,

Great discussion. We have the director and the musical director handle the casting. We also video the auditions so that we can discuss with students who are not cast, what they can do better next time. It also can reaffirm our decisions if we have any backlash.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 8.  RE: casting by committee

Posted 08-17-2018 00:46
    I have been using casting panels for a very long time. 
    As of late we have managed to have an online spread sheet with student info and photos for the panel to use to make notes and discuss.

The 'why' of the panel is a little different from show to show. Sometimes I really need the expertise, especially for musicals. Sometimes I need a little bit of a 'smoke screen' to help field student and parent questions after the cast has been announced. I also just enjoy collaborating.

Having said that, last year I let a panel overrule my strong knowledge of a studen's 'history' in the program...and paid the price. Ultimately I think it can be a director prerogative to have veto power over some panel decisions.  

Tom Schulz
    High School Theatre

I am currently reading, "Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right" by Arlie Russell Hochschild.

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and contains information that is privileged and confidential. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email and delete the original message. Unless it relates to the official business of Singapore American School, any opinions or matters expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.

• 9.  RE: casting by committee

Posted 08-18-2018 06:45
    I've always used a committee - other teachers, community theater people, former Thespians..... Final decision always came back to me and my team (me, choreographer, music). I have served on audition teams for other schools where the committee had the final say when it came to the director's kids and they often favored the director's child even though there were others who had an equal or better audition. My team's kids knew they had to step it up cuz if another audition was equal or better, the part would go to them. That's hard for our kids but also makes it fair. In casting, there's nothing I dislike more than knowing the lead is up there because they're the director's child. Now I'm off my soap box :)

Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 10.  RE: casting by committee

Posted 08-19-2018 10:19
    I think you will find that a lot of us cast by committee for many different reasons, from the fact that we have existing personal or family relationships with students or that we just don't want to be the only one to put eyes on things. As a program grows, so does the interest and the talent available and it can be so difficult to be the only one in the room considering the entire show as a whole. A committee, especially of other educators or locals in the theatre arts can help you to feel confident about your decisions, challenge your personal or pre-existing perceptions (I tend to be harder on students I have known longer personally), and give you back up should anyone question your casting choices. I don't think I've been involved in a show where less than two people were helping with casting in over 13 years directing educational and community theatre and it always gives me a great peace of mind when the casting decisions are finished. Don't forget though that someone has to have final say in casting, and it's important that you as the director maintain that. Sometimes factors that the panel might not be aware of and you might not be able to tell them about (such as grades and behavior if they aren't also teachers) have to come into play when final decisions are being made, and it's important that a panel knows that you need to have the last say.

Also don't forget to make sure everyone on your panel has had a background screening of some sort. Our school has a quick screening they can do by running someone's license at the front desk for volunteers who will be on campus. Make sure you are following the volunteer protocol for your district and school.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Program Director
    Arnold High School Theatre
    Thespian Troupe 6371
    Panama City Beach, FL

District 10 Chair & State Logistics
    Florida State Junior Thespians

Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair
    Florida Association for Theatre Education

• 11.  RE: casting by committee

Posted 08-20-2018 12:20
    I will have my adult production staff and student AD/SM watch auditions and go thru the casting process with me.  I listen to their opinions and we talk about choices.  Usually we arrive at consensus with decisions, but the end call is mine as the director.

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 12.  RE: casting by committee

Posted 08-21-2018 22:54
    For my first 3 small cast shows the Assistant Director and I would taIk for days & used a Velcro board with actors names under character names. When she left in year 4, I replaced her with a Director’s Assistant, who would give feedback but had no real say. I also brought in a Casting Director & I would give her complete control. When I did not agree with her, I would state my case over & over, but ultimately give her the final say. Sometimes it took a week until I could live with her decisions or she would bend to my vision. It helped with favoritism & she was great at giving the older kids more. YRs. 5 -10, I added an additional Casting Director who starting using a scoring system & a ranking process. They are so in tandem now, thank God, as the first is moving to Boston and I’m not nearly as scared as I could have been. I’m bringing in 2 more Casting Directors to replace her, so it will be 3 & me but I will have final say now.

Maria Stadtmueller
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 13.  RE: casting by committee

Posted 08-21-2018 16:23
    For our one act plays and other public shows, I handle all casting.  I am the only Drama teacher and also serve as Tech Director, Designer, and Producer.  Others help out with construction, costumes, and various other duties, but not when it comes to casting.

For our musicals, due to the size and scope of the shows, the casting committee is the 3-person Creative Team.  The Musical Director (our Choir Teacher) has input, as does our choreographer (a local dance studio owner/teacher whom I contract to help out).  No input is ever accepted from students, parents, or other faculty in regards to skill/ability.  However, I do solicit input from other teachers if there is a student with whom I'm unfamiliar in regard to grades, maturity, and behavior.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA