Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  stage flooring?

Posted 10-03-2019 08:08
    We are in the planning stages to re-surface our stage floor, which is currently plywood decking covered with carpet, and I need some input from my fellow directors and techies. What is the best option for stage flooring? Is there an industry standard? 

While our space is multi-purpose, its primary function is as our performance space, so I want to get this right.   I am looking for recommendations to include in my proposal.  

Darlene Shaw
    Drama and Vocal Coach
    Lafayette Christian School, LaGrange Georgia
    "educating and inspiring this generation to impact the culture for Christ"

• 2.  RE: stage flooring?

Posted 10-03-2019 14:18

Plyron painted black is quite durable and popular. Whatever solution you decide upon, be sure it is something that can be maintained in house. The floor will look better and last longer if it can be touched up or a damaged piece replaced within a couple of hours. Often district operations staff or other "decision makers" are only familiar with high gloss gym type floors, so you might get some push back. 

~Dave

------------------------------
    David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 3.  RE: stage flooring?

Posted 10-04-2019 12:37
    I would advise against Plyron unless you have a specific application for it.  Typically, the top layer of a stage floor is "sacrificial," meaning that it can be painted, cut, screwed into, etc, and the sheets can be replaced easily and cheaply.  Plyron is only made by one manufacturer so it is typically $$$$, and in my testing of the product, drywall screws will often snap off while trying to penetrate the upper layer, so actual wood screws may need to be used.  I recommend a masonite hardboard because it is usually inexpensive and is super easy to replace.  Hope this helps :-).

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer
    DeKalb, Illinois

• 4.  RE: stage flooring?

Posted 10-03-2019 14:40
    When our new space was built, they installed a tongue in groove under placement of 1" plywood in two layers, but the covering is Masonite in 3 foot squares.   That way if one panel gets damaged you just replace it.  Sounds great with tap shoes on it and just needs to be painted every fall or so.

Robert Birdsong
    Maumelle AR

• 5.  RE: stage flooring?

Posted 10-04-2019 07:32
    I prefer to work on masonite or tempered hardboard and have done so professionally and educationally for years.  The most locally available form of that material for me comes in 4 x 8 sheet and is sold under the name "tempered hardboard".  This is just a top layer though, and is sacrificial, temporary and removable. 

In terms of the actual structural materials of the floor itself, it is critical to involve a theater consultant in this process as they are most familiar with the needs of theatrical spaces-- Erich Friend posts on this forum and can be very a very helpful resource.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 6.  RE: stage flooring?

Posted 10-04-2019 08:11
    Thank you all for your prompt and helpful information!

Darlene Shaw
    Drama Coach
    LaGrange GA

• 7.  RE: stage flooring?

Posted 10-04-2019 06:55
    We have installed and worked with architects to design flooring for theaters in the past, 

We typically suggest/recommend using High Temp Masonite, there are several types: single sided and double sided, standard and high temp

I recommend the double sided high temp Masonite, it is a dark brown color, tan sheets do not hold up as well.

Once you have the materials, you want to paint all the edges to seal out the ability to absorb moisture, then paint both faces... this will help prevent the problem of waving or warping. 

Installation, we have used pennies between the panels to allow for minor expansion.

Some facilities air nail the floor panels down and some use countersunk screws, I am a fan of the air nails as the screws never work when you need to replace the panels.

Good luck in your replacement.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 8.  RE: stage flooring?

Posted 10-04-2019 11:32
    Hi Darlene,

Here is what I would recommend.  If the plywood is good and solid, leave it in place. If not replace it with finished 3/4 inch plywood. On top of that add double tempered masonite, making sure to leave a small space between sheets (we used pennies to provide the space)  Attach the masonite to the floor using 2"-3" wood screws. This will allow you to easily remove and replace a damaged sheet of masonite. 

Lastly, finish the surface with "Rosco Tough Prime" in black (available form Rose Brand).  It's expensive but it is great paint, and gives a pretty much non reflective surface for your deck, and is very durable.

Good luck with the project.  I hope this helps.

Best,

Mack

--
    Mack Dugger
    Teacher
    Department of Teaching and Learning
    Pacific Avenue Education Center
    440 W. Lomita Ave., Glendale, CA 91204
    "Totus Mundus agit historionem"
    Bravo award winning Teacher
    Kennedy Center Creative Ticket Award
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

• 9.  RE: stage flooring?

Posted 10-04-2019 12:35
    Darlene,

About attaching the masonite to the floor-- to correct my previous email--We used 1 5/8" dry wall screws. We pre-drilled the sheets of masonite and counter sunk every screw.   I left out a rather important part of the process.  Everything else is good to go.

Mack

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 8:31 AM Mack Dugger <mdugger@gusd.net> wrote:
    Hi Darlene,

Here is what I would recommend.  If the plywood is good and solid, leave it in place. If not replace it with finished 3/4 inch plywood. On top of that add double tempered masonite, making sure to leave a small space between sheets (we used pennies to provide the space)  Attach the masonite to the floor using 2"-3" wood screws. This will allow you to easily remove and replace a damaged sheet of masonite. 

Lastly, finish the surface with "Rosco Tough Prime" in black (available form Rose Brand).  It's expensive but it is great paint, and gives a pretty much non reflective surface for your deck, and is very durable.

Good luck with the project.  I hope this helps.

Best,

Mack

--
    Mack Dugger
    Teacher
    Department of Teaching and Learning
    Pacific Avenue Education Center
    440 W. Lomita Ave., Glendale, CA 91204
    "Totus Mundus agit historionem"
    Bravo award winning Teacher
    Kennedy Center Creative Ticket Award
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!