Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Improvisation Assessments

Posted 10-01-2017 15:26
    I am working on an improvisation unit and am in need of some formal assessments. Can anyone share their improvisation assessments?

Thanks,
    Cheri Addison
    Nation Ford High Schoo
    Fort Mill, SC

• 2.  RE: Improvisation Assessments

Posted 10-02-2017 09:26
    Hi!

So here goes a controversial statement, possibly. I do not assess the actual scene work or performance. Improv is so different from anything else I feel putting constraints/ pressure to meet a specific standard on an improvisor makes them think too much. I have found my kids have more fun and actually improvise better when I assess the analysis of a scene rather than the scene performance. I have been improvising for over 20 years professionally so I am coming from a place of making may mistakes.  I have made many rubrics and tossed them because they don't work. Once I started assessing the feedback is when my class started blooming    If students can analyze their  improv work then they become better.

To ensure that District 70 students experience learning that prepares them to live and work in the 21st Century

• 3.  RE: Improvisation Assessments

Posted 10-02-2017 09:28
      |   view attached
    Here is the form I use. Hope this helps.

------------------------------
    Frieda Gebert
    Drama and Speech
    Boyle County Schools
    Danville, KY

Attachment(s)

docx
    IMPROV SCORING.docx   69 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Improvisation Assessments

Posted 10-02-2017 14:21
    I do a quiz on the 5 rules of improvisation I teach at the start to ground the performers. There are more than 5 but I focus on just 5.

Brittany Taylor
    Drama Director
    Yorktown,VA

• 5.  RE: Improvisation Assessments

Posted 10-02-2017 19:17
    I teach my students improvisation using CROW (Character, Relationship, Objective, Where) and approximately 12 improvisation games.  As they learn the improv games, they will eventually play with every person in the class.  I then have them form performance groups of about 4 -6 people.  For the formal assessment, each group will present their improv "show".  Each student within a group needs to perform in 3 games--they get to choose the games that are easiest for them.  Each student also needs to introduce one of the games and serve as MC for that game--getting a suggestion for the actors, or timing it and eventually ending the scene.  (Yes--this could also be called differentiated instruction ;)
    They enjoy this assignment--and everyone enjoys watching it as well. 
    Hope this helps.

Cindy Skelton
    Drama Teacher
    San Mateo Union High School District
    Burlingame CA

• 6.  RE: Improvisation Assessments

Posted 10-03-2017 10:39
    Just out of curiosity Brittany, what are the five rules you choose to focus on?

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 7.  RE: Improvisation Assessments

Posted 10-06-2017 11:39
    I created this poster mainly for younger students. It's not exactly an assessment tool, but it has been very helpful in promoting positive participation in Improvisations.
    Classroom Improvisation Guidelines Poster
    Zazzle remove preview
    Classroom Improvisation Guidelines Poster
    Improvisations-unscripted scenes created by actors-can be a powerful, fun, and valuable classroom activity. But the freedom of a spontaneous scene can prompt unproductive participation by some students. The guidelines on this poster can help encourage worthwhile and effective classroom improvisations.
    View this on Zazzle >

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Washington, DC