Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  CLUE--play based on movie script

Posted 06-02-2018 09:00
    I received this message from Michael Barra, after receiving communication from Jonathan Lynn:

Licensing of our play version of Clue, adapted from Jonathan's screenplay, and with all required rights from both Paramount and Hasbro, is now available to be produced by high schools via Broadway Licensing/Playscripts.

Some cities are restricted until the National Tour plays through, commencing in November of 2019. After which professional and community theater rights will be released.

--
    MS/HS Teacher Librarian
    District Data Analyst
    Spring Play Director
    Large Group Speech Coach
    Thespian Troupe #1038 Sponsor
    South Tama County CSD

High School 641-484-4121, x 6202
    Middle School 641-484-4121, x 4303

Public Speaking Adjunct 
    Marshalltown Community College

Check out the STC Libraries site: https://sites.google.com/site/southtamalibraries/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.  Furthermore, the e-mail system, equipment, network, back up files and records are property of the South Tama County Community School District.

• 2.  RE: CLUE--play based on movie script

Posted 06-03-2018 06:00
    I submitted a licensing request for Clue on Friday. Still has to be approved by admin. Will let you know how it goes.

------------------------------
    Jim DeVivo, Ph.D.
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Lacey Township High School
    Lanoka Harbor NJ

• 3.  RE: CLUE--play based on movie script

Posted 06-03-2018 07:34
    I've also submitted a request and am waiting to hear.

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 4.  RE: CLUE--play based on movie script

Posted 06-03-2018 15:24
    We applied and were granted permission to produce/perform the show in November of 2018.  It was very costly and hopefully I'll be able to make the cost on ticket sales.  We are paying about 1300.00 for the scripts, royalties and apparently you need to purchase a piano score(for incidental music) and even though we have paid (using a school PO), we are not getting the material until Sept.  They say it will ship about6 to 8 weeks before we are scheduled to open.  THAT fact makes be a little nervous.  I feel like I am renting a major musical at this point.  But oh well,  I hope to be able to fill the house with this show.  Best of luck to all of you.

Jeffrey Hudkins
    Falling Waters WV

• 5.  RE: CLUE--play based on movie script

Posted 06-04-2018 09:11
    We applied and were granted permission, but the cost is too high for our program, so we are going to have to hold off for a few years...

Lisa Ronca
    Huxley IA

• 6.  RE: CLUE--play based on movie script

Posted 06-07-2018 09:40
    For those of you who received permission (whether you're ultimately performing the show or not), how long did it take to get a response from the licensing company?

Jim DeVivo, Ph.D.
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Lanoka Harbor NJ

• 7.  RE: CLUE--play based on movie script

Posted 06-08-2018 12:01
    We received permission fairly quickly, but due to the costs and set challenges we went with my students' second choice (Jon Jory's adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice", also through Playscripts and $500 less to produce).  It seems like the billing is similar to a musical as opposed to the straight plays as was mentioned before and I formally withdrew our request for "Clue".  But I would say between submitting the initial request and getting a response, it was less than a day.

Melissa Gibson
    Drama teacher
    Oak Harbor High School
    Oak Harbor WA

• 8.  RE: CLUE--play based on movie script

Posted 06-12-2018 21:38
    ​I love CLUE. Please keep us posted as to the script.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 9.  RE: CLUE--play based on movie script

Posted 06-13-2018 05:56
    Received the rights from Playscripts within the week. $1400 as others had indicated. Waiting on administration feedback and Troupe officer input before we decide what to do.

Jim DeVivo, Ph.D.
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Lanoka Harbor NJ