Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Need To Read

Posted 02-10-2015 20:47

Am just wondering how other teachers and directors deal with the need to read professionally.

I have a stack of magazines and journals that I would like to get through, but never seem to "have the time". Likewise, one of my professional weaknesses is a lack of knowledge regarding current playwrights, etc.

How do you deal with this "Need to Read"?  Have you found a way to find the time?

------------------------------
    Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 2.  RE: The Need To Read

Posted 02-11-2015 10:24
    I completely understand! I face this issue as well as especially as a newer teacher.  One small step that I have been making is trying to read an article or two while eat lunch instead of grading papers.  It's a nice break for me, and I found that is professionally helpful as well as getting some practical advice too.  The recent article on costuming in Dramatics gave me something practice to share with my students on costume crew.

Theresa Velazquez
    St Charles MO

• 3.  RE:The Need To Read

Posted 02-11-2015 11:18
    Summer. Some prep periods.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE: The Need To Read

Posted 02-12-2015 13:01

I carve out little bits of time: a couple of articles from American Theatre with coffee on Saturday or Sunday morning, a Dramatics article during lunch or my planning period.

I also have a physical list going all the time of plays I'd like to purchase for our classroom reading library. When I see an interesting title in an article or review, I add it to the list.  Three or four times a year, I do script orders out of my regular theatre account, and then I read all those plays before putting them in the classroom reading library.

I require my students to read regularly, and I enjoy sharing a review of a new play I've read with them and seeing them start checking that play out to read.

I don't do much reading about how to teach.  I think I've read about all I want to read about that--but that is just 31 years in the classroom talking.  Bah humbug.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: The Need To Read

Posted 02-12-2015 07:11
    Ask my ever growing stack of articles on my coffee table.  I should just tackle one a day, I guess.  Make it a part of the routine.  

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 6.  RE: The Need To Read

Posted 02-16-2015 18:47

Thanks for the advice.

I think, for me, it's going to have to be a bigger requirement for my students-- then, I'll have to do it.  Otherwise, it's just going to be the status quo, which consists of "oh, if only, someday."

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC