Open Forum

View Only

Stagecraft help!

• 1.  Stagecraft help!

Posted 07-21-2018 01:02
    Hello there!

I'm about to start my first year teaching, and I'm thrilled! I get to create and run my own program and have an incredible amount of support from my school.

BUT.

I have been given a stagecraft class. Now, I was expecting to be co-teaching it with someone who would focus on the construction side of things, and that my own focus would be on the design. Unfortunately, that is not the case, so I am also going to be expected to teach construction.

The problem with this is that I took one class in set construction during my undergrad, and while I am decently confident in my personal ability to build simple sets, teaching it to students and making sure everyone keeps their fingers along the way? Not so much.

Has anyone here found themselves in a similar situation? What advice and suggestions do you have for me for designing the curriculum to my own strengths while also giving students a good opportunity to learn the construction side of things?

------------------------------
    Tiffany Garner
    American Leadership Academy Gilbert Arizona
    tgarner@alaschools.org

• 2.  RE: Stagecraft help!

Posted 07-21-2018 10:06
    I'm very sorry if this sounds blunt, but if you don't feel qualified and confident in the hands-on part, I think you should tell your admin and not do that part of the class. This is about the students and their future, not about what your admins decided you would teach.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 3.  RE: Stagecraft help!

Posted 07-22-2018 09:37
    Along the lines of George’s recommendations, enlist the help of your industrial technology teachers and engage your administrators to create a plan that is safe for your students and meets the needs of your district/school board to control risk/liability. This is something that can be done so you can get your scenery built safely. Good luck!
    Rick Osann
    Bonny Eagle High School

Sent from my iPad
    --
    The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or
    entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any
    review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
    action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than
    the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please
    contact the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments from any
    computer.

MSAD #6 -
    Bonny Eagle Schools
    Buxton - Hollis - Limington - Standish - Frye Island,
    Maine
    Helping all students to reach their full potential

• 4.  RE: Stagecraft help!

Posted 07-22-2018 14:06

I am in complete agreement with George. If you are not qualified don't teach the subject and consult with your admin. For two reasons: safety (of the students) and liability (the school/district's, and also yours!) – both of which fall under the category of Risk Management. In keeping with George's blunt advice, here's mine:

I think you (and anyone in this position) need to do a lot more research before you agree to teach something for which you are not qualified (I'm sorry, but reading books does not qualify you).

Tech theatre is a CTE subject.  CTE subjects require a CTE certified teacher. I looked up your CTE program in Arizona. And although "Performing Arts" was listed in your CTE subjects, I didn't see "Tech Theatre" specifically. I think you should contact your CTE office to find out more.   Here's the link: http://www.azed.gov/cte/.

Also, there are laws which govern what activities minors can and cannot do, and these include most of the things you will be doing in the scene shop and while hanging lights (and rigging, if you have a fly system). The good news is, for the most part, minors may do these activities, but only "When youths are employed in career education programs, vocational or technical training school programs." This is a quote from the Arizona Dept of L&I website – here's the page link: https://www.azica.gov/labor-youth-exemptions. The big question is, does your class, considering you are an unqualified teacher, meet this definition? It's something you should take up with your Risk Management office (not your admin – they won't know, as evidence by the fact that they did not hire a CTE certified teacher to teach this class!).

In addition there have been numerous posts on this discussion board about safety and CTE. You can find those by just putting "CTE" in the search bar on the top right hand corner of Open Forum - Discussions page.

All the best in your research and your class. If you follow the guidelines and laws you will be covered!

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

NEW!
    ONLINE CERTIFICATE COURSES FOR HIGH SCHOOL TECH THEATRE STUDENTS (AND TEACHERS) http://www.presett.org/techieacademy.html

HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Fall session Sept 10th. http://www.presett.org/theatre-management-course.html

"HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and more tech theatre books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 5.  RE: Stagecraft help!

Posted 08-03-2018 17:03

Just want to clarify...not all theatre programs in Arizona have CTE Tech Theatre programs.  I know many teachers who have stagecraft classes but aren't CTE certified.  They are funded by their district rather than JTED/CTE/Perkins Grant monies.

And to make it more confusing...the overhaul of our standards in Arizona also resulted in the changing of the CTE program title from Technical Theatre to Stagecraft.  We were unsuccessful in getting ADE to change it back.  So if you see them being interchanged among Arizona educators, that is going to be common, partly out of habit, and partly out of a little rebellion ; 0

Best wishes on your new adventure!

[Debbie ] [MacKinney]
    [Curriculum Writer]
    [AZ CTE Curriculum Consotium]
    [Tucson] [AZ]

• 6.  RE: Stagecraft help!

Posted 08-06-2018 22:09
    Hi Debbie:

So glad you posted this.  It's one of my big pet peeves.  I don't understand why ADE changed CTE Technical Theatre to "Stagecraft."  As you mentioned, not all schools are CTE, so there are schools in my district that offer Stagecraft - as a non-CTE elective that students can take for a single semester.  Other schools, like mine, that have CTE certified teachers offer the two-year comprehensive technical theatre program.  There is a big difference in the programs and curriculum and I really wish that ADE could see that they are doing a big disservice to CTE students with the name change.

1.  The CTE certificate of completion in TECHNICAL THEATRE has helped my students gets scholarships and jobs as technicians.  I am afraid that when that certificate says "stagecraft" that it won't hold the same weight in the industry or in college progams.

2.  Are we going to change Culinary to Home Ec or Construction to Wood Shop?  Just as those titles hold the connotation of an elective subject instead of the study of a career path, so does changing Technical Theatre to Stagecraft.

3.  Stagecraft is not a college major.  

4.  I think it will be very confusing to students and counselors who place students in classes.  It has taken me three years to get the counselors to understand that my CTE classes are not a place that you can put students to fill a spot in their schedule in the middle of the year.  

I've worked very hard to build and recruit for my CTE program and I just feel like this move from ADE has really undermined all of the work I've done.  Two years ago I was the ONLY CTE Technical Theatre teacher in my district, one of the largest districts in the state, and now there are three.  Changing the name to Stagecraft will take us two steps backwards.  

I gave this same input when I was asked about this last year before they changed it, but haven't received any communication from ADE since.  That's my soapbox speech and venting is done.  :)

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 7.  RE: Stagecraft help!

Posted 07-21-2018 21:22
    I would definitely check out the Basic Set Construction from the Practical Technical Theatre by Bob and Marty Fowler.  It includes videos and accompanying materials that discuss safety and then take the students through some basic builds.  I would certainly approach the principal about acquiring these materials for you and your students.  I think it would allow you to be more prepared in guiding them on the tasks and would allow them to do some pre-work before ever entering the shop area.  I love this series and it has been a tremendous help in teaching tech components to my kids.  

https://practicaltechnicaltheatre.com/

Greg Franklin
    Burlington NC

• 8.  RE: Stagecraft help!

Posted 07-22-2018 07:40
    I run my Stagecraft classes as a combination of both design and hands on. The very first thing we do of course is tools and safety. Until they pass the tools and safety test they're not allowed to touch anything that plugs in or is battery-powered. (Basically they can only carry things around, go get things, paint, or "here hold this".)
    Each student then chooses a one-act that they will design for for the year. They each have a 3-ring binder that they use as a portfolio/prompt book.
    When we need to be working on sets, we just work, and when we have down time, we design each element for their One-Acts.
    I always start with set design, then do props, costuming, hair & makeup, then Lighting and Sound at the end.
    That being said, the Fowler videos are very good as well if you don't feel confident and teaching material yourself. :-)

Beth Keith
    Theatre Teacher
    Harrisonville High School
    Grandview MO

• 9.  RE: Stagecraft help!

Posted 07-22-2018 08:36
    Look into the Practical Technical Theatre series.  They have DVDs or streaming service available and I think the Basic Set Construction edition might help you out.  It has a clear demo on building platforms, flats and stair units and also gives you some resources to help teach it.

Sarah Serbus
    Theatre Director
    Union R-XI School District
    Union MO

• 10.  RE: Stagecraft help!

Posted 07-22-2018 08:41
    Would your admin approve you bringing in a 'guest professional' to lead several construction sessions?  Maybe you know a theatre techie or you might have a parent who has lots of construction experience. It's exciting for students to have guests along their learning path and you could learn from that person, too. But I agree that you should probably discuss this challenge with your admin so they are on board with your solutions to the situation. 

You can also do - as already suggested - lots of other work first: a big overview of why tech theatre matters and the whole interesting process of determining function (what do the lights or costumes, etc. need to do) and applying creative interpretation - which is basically script analysis for tech and design; Theatre space terminology and safety; Then begin with less dangerous design/build processes like costumes or props or make-up, giving the students the chance to demonstrate they can follow the rules, look out for themselves and the equipment.  Unless you need the stagecraft class to actually build your production set(s), there's no need to dive into construction first thing.  If this is a year long course, you could do lights (all that electricity can be just as dangerous as power tools!) and sets second semester.

And meanwhile, you make sure and get yourself some more building/power tool training before you are in charge of that unit.  Ideally, you'd get someone to come work with you a few hours each week in your shop, with your tools - there might even be another teacher on staff who is a construction wiz - and build a couple basic projects that you can then do with the students (like a platform and a flat).  A first year stagecraft student doesn't need to be let loose to build an entire set!  And remember, there's lots of fun stuff to be done with painting (effects like bricks, wood, marble, etc.).

Good luck!

Julia Wharton
    Theatre Director/Educator

• 11.  RE: Stagecraft help!

Posted 07-22-2018 12:40
    Some good ideas so far for covering "stagecraft" without limiting it to hands-on construction.

Back in grad school I taught an undergrad class in tech theatre that covered a lot of different topics and was all done in the classroom: the theatre itself, parts of the stage, permanent "scenery" (teasers, tormentors, legs, borders, cycs, etc.), the grid, "hemp house" vs. counterweight systems, the fire curtain, fire extinguishers, various types of scenery (flats, platforms, stairs, wagons, etc.), and so on. Nothing on lights or costumes as these were covered in other classes. 

Now and then we did a "field trip" to one of our stages to see things in person, or to the shop for a demo on power tools or scenic painting. I also set up a demo with the campus fire department, where they came over, started a small fire, and showed the kids how to put it out. Actual set and prop work (as well as hands-on lighting and costume work) was treated as a lab, which was a requirement for the class. This was done under the supervision of our shop staff and grad students.

Our "standard" tech theatre textbook was Scene Design and Stage Lighting by Parker and Smith, and we basically went through the book in order. Each student was required to have his/her own copy, and the syllabus handed out on the first day of class covered all the assigned readings. They also had occasional pop quizzes.

One of my favorite "quizzes" was to ask the students to find and identify every fire extinguisher in the theatre department -- and I convinced them that cheating by comparing notes was defeating the purpose. There were a bunch, and one of them had been placed, by some genius, behind a fire door that was normally held open by an electromagnet.

BTW, as far as bringing in parents or people with carpentry experience to help lead the construction: be careful. I've run into that, and the problem is that they often don't understand how scenery is built and tend to want to build everything like a permanent structure, which makes it heavy, hard to handle, and expensive, not to mention difficult to strike afterwards. If the students are learning about theatre, then they should be learning how proper scenery is built.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 12.  RE: Stagecraft help!

Posted 07-23-2018 08:41
    When I started teaching theatre, I was in the same position as you - I'd worked with tools, had a design background, but no tech theatre experience. I've been teaching tech theatre now for twenty years. 
    I would not go and make demands to your admin about what you should be teaching. A conversation should be had about your comfort level, but don't deliver ultimatums.  Tech theatre can be taught in a variety of ways, and depending on your facilities, resources and budget, you can still have a tech theatre class that leans heavily on the design aspect rather than the construction. Lights, costume and sound all can be practically taught without touching a screw gun. 
    Sometimes, jumping into learning how to do something with your students is the most rewarding teaching. Start by saying, "Okay, we're going to figure this out together." You don't have to know all the answers. Learn with them. And every year you'll build on the knowledge from the previous year. 
    That being said, if you're required to build sets by your admin, you do need to reach out to someone and have them teach you a few things, especially for safety reasons. I was mentored by a guy who was mentored by a guy who ended up the TD of one of our professional theaters. Helped a lot.

Jake Dreiling
    Atlanta GA

• 13.  RE: Stagecraft help!

Posted 07-23-2018 13:10
    In a perfect world, you would have learned all this in college.  But we don't live in a perfect world, and if you tell your administration that you can't teach this class, I suspect you will be building all your sets on Saturday for the whole time you teach there.

I graduated from college having all my experience in arena theatre.  Consequently, I knew nothing about building sets for a proscenium stage.  My students and I built our first flats with Parker and Smith's Scene Design and Stage Lighting spread on the floor in front of us, using only manual tools.  

Over the years, I have learned from more books, videos, hardware store employees, wood shop teachers, the internet, and fellow theatre folks.  Whenever I have needed to build something I thought was beyond my skill level, I have hired someone to build it or asked for help from our CTE carpentry teacher.

I have amassed a good number of power tools, learning to use them myself before teaching them to the students.  My students use a buddy system whenever they are cutting on any of the saws to prevent sudden acts of stupidity.  (Don't buy old, used tools, no matter how tight your budget is!  You want all the most recent safety features on everything.)

Good luck!  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC