Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  ITS and Best Buddies

Posted 08-28-2019 19:43
    We are trying something new and really exciting this year at school.  My ITS troupe is partnering with our school's chapter of Best Buddies to put on a play with a cast comprised of our general ed students and our students with special needs!  We are so excited to work on this, but I need help on where to start with scripts.
    I'm looking for something at a pretty low reading level, probably something vignette-style, a large flexible cast (we're expecting a lot of kids to want to participate), and a relatively simple set/costume demand.  

Any script ideas?  Any ideas on where to even start looking for something like this?

------------------------------
    Annie Rice
    Spring Hill TN

• 2.  RE: ITS and Best Buddies

Posted 08-29-2019 10:58
    Hi Annie,

There is a play called The Yellow Boat by David Saar. It is available from Dramatists. According to the website, it is also available in a touring and a competition version.

Dramatist says it is a small cast of 5. However, a local children's theatre performed it a few years ago. The cast was very flexible and the costumes were just tshirts in varying colors. It was a beautiful show.

I don't know if this would fit your criteria but it might be a place to start. I love the idea of your project. Best of luck!

Vicki

Vicki Palmer
    Theatre Technical Director
    Hickman High School - Home of the Kewpies
    Columbia MO

• 3.  RE: ITS and Best Buddies

Posted 08-29-2019 12:51

How exciting!  I'm on my third year of doing what we are calling a "Unified Play!"  Last year we did "We Open Tomorrow Night?!" published by Theatre Folk.  The one act version.  Its exactly as you described.  It was PERFECT for this, and a huge hit.  Plus allowed tremendous flexibility to showcase the talents of our students with special needs.
    We had a mix of actors from both classes in the main characters and other advanced drama students direct the talent portions of the show.

I highly recommend, and feel free to reach out with any more questions about how we did this!  I think there is going to be an article in dramatics or teaching theatre about it soon too!

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE

• 4.  RE: ITS and Best Buddies

Posted 08-29-2019 14:08
    Look up "The Jellybean Conspiracy."  We did it years ago and it is perfect for what you're looking for. It was one of the best things I've done.

Jennifer Bunnell
    Pensacola FL

• 5.  RE: ITS and Best Buddies

Posted 09-01-2019 12:28
    Hey Annie,

I like Jennifer's suggestion.  "The Jellybean Conspiracy" is a great show that will allow for flexible casting. 

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School