Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Falling Snow

Posted 11-24-2018 12:30
    Tis the season for snow...
    I am new to my school which has no auditorium. We have a fairly large theatre classroom where we have tried our best to mimic a black box. I need snow for our December show, but I am not at all sure how to approach it in this space. I familiar with snow slings and snow machines, but I have always had rigging available above the performance space. My classroom has a drop ceiling about 20' up. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

------------------------------
    Greg Franklin
    Denver NC

• 2.  RE: Falling Snow

Posted 11-25-2018 14:31
    https://mywonderfall.com/product-category/wonderfall-xl/
    Bought 75 lbs of snow from them for our fall show. Wonderul service and product...They have snow,  snow machinse...can fill small or large needs...
    Good luck

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director
    Madera CA

• 3.  RE: Falling Snow

Posted 11-26-2018 21:37
    Goog evening,

we we rented the silent storm machines for Wizard. I had them at 18ft and it was beautiful. Here is the pic.

JgUELozNTZWWZx95Nle7_IMG_0074.PNG

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Falling Snow

Posted 11-27-2018 08:09
    Our set guy built two snow machines that we used for It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th street. It was easy to use and were hung above the stage. We used PVC piping to create the "shaker" machine.

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 5.  RE: Falling Snow

Posted 11-28-2018 15:57

Hi Greg –

Most anything that you can rent or purchase is going to require some sort of rigging! 

I hate to say it but it looks like the best long-term solution is to pop a couple of those ceiling tiles and hang a couple of pipes.  With a little bit of effort, it would look very neat and tidy when completed.  There should be steel I-beams or bar-joist above the drop ceiling that you can attach a beam clamp or wrap a span-set and drop a length of aircraft cable through a small hole in the ceiling tile.  At that point, dead hang a couple lengths of schedule 40 steel pipe or aluminum pipe.  You will have a hanging position for a snow sling or machine or anything else in the future. 

Other than that - there are some Snow Fans/machines that could be rigged off of a heavy duty Grip stand (such as a Matthews stand) that could be placed in the corner/side stage.  Angle the machine up to maximize to throw.  Any or all of that can be rented

Best of luck,

Don

Don Keith
    Set Designer | Partner
    The KEILIN Group
    300 north pottstown pike, suite 140
    exton, PA 19341
    o: 610.873.2506
    www.keilingroup.com
    www.kltwo.com
    don@keilingroup.com

• 6.  RE: Falling Snow

Posted 11-29-2018 11:57

Hi, Greg.  I agree with Don completely.  One thing I'd suggest is that you get your maintenance people to hang the new pipes.  Anything permanent added to your facility is best handled by whoever does that kind of work in your school.  If you do the installation, you're responsible if something goes wrong, even years down the road.  If maintenance does the install, they own it.

Bob Fowler

Interactive Educational Video, LLC

• 7.  RE: Falling Snow

Posted 11-29-2018 11:25
    the handful of <g class="gr_ gr_11 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="11" data-gr-id="11">short term</g> fixes should do for now, but for <g class="gr_ gr_69 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="69" data-gr-id="69">long term</g>...  I have to agree that you need to get some people who know what they are doing to poke some holes in that ceiling tile and hang some 11/2" black steel.

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]