Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Costume Shop Question

Posted 03-29-2022 09:59
    We are looking to buy a good sewing machine, iron, and steamer for our new Costume Shop. What do you guys recommend for reliable long-term use? Brand, type, any other essential equipment? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

• 2.  RE: Costume Shop Question

Posted 04-07-2022 17:17
    I went to our local sewing shop and told them what I needed.  They recommended the Janome QS30.  Those things have been amazing workhorses for us, at a reasonable price.  Keeping up with maintenance and general tune ups helps, as well.

------------------------------
    Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    OR

• 3.  RE: Costume Shop Question

Posted 04-08-2022 04:01
    The Janome website is : Janome - Sewing, Embroidery Machines & Sergers  (https://www.janome.com/products/machines/)
    They have 125 different models.  Find one that suits your needs and budget.

Also:  Get good lighting in your sewing areas.  It is a very visually intense task, so 100 fc (foot candles) of illumination is not an unreasonable request.  Typical classrooms are 35-50 fc.

If you can get new lighting, request a high CRI (Color Rendering Index) of 90-95+, at a CCT (Correlated Color Temperature) near to your stage lighting (about 2800-3200K) it will make matching material colors much easier.  Typical classrooms with fluorescent lighting are CRI of 70-80 and a CCT of 4400K, and may flicker (which can make the moving machine parts appear to be stationary - this can be really dangerous!).  Don't let them treat your sewing space like it is a 'typical classroom' -- it is not a typical classroom -- it is a theatre arts space!

Getting new sewing equipment is an excellent reason to get upgrades to good LED illumination in a color critical workspace.  LED lighting doesn't flicker / strobe like fluorescent lighting (or if it does, something is very wrong).  Ask a lot of questions if your school decides to upgrade lighting, because they will probably miss the fc, CRI, and the CCT (the trifecta of failure) !

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems LLC

• 4.  RE: Costume Shop Question

Posted 04-09-2022 16:28

This is a great question 
    I work professionally  as a costume designer and stylist and I have a few recommendations. If you have a local sewing machine shop start there.  It really doesn't matter which brand.  They will be your best friend if you tell them you may buy several for a school.  They will also service them which is a big help.  Most shops like Singer, Janome, Juki and Bernina are happy to work with school groups to keep that loyalty from the students when they get older.     Get the machine that is right for your budget. And learn how to work on them your self.  Ask them to show you simple repairs and then teach your students.  As for irons and steamers I use Rowenta and I love them. They make many models and prices and they are good about reordering parts.   

If your budget is only a few hundred dollars I am going to suggest going to a Walmart / a Target and purchase a few machines that are 150.00 and under, just use them until they wear down.  Honestly I have a Singer from 16 years ago that I still use that I paid 95.00.   It's a work horse and I am a full time sewist that is saying a lot.  (But you may not have that experience). 

Best of luck and I am thrilled to see you are building a sewing/ maker space for your theatre.   

Shirlee Idzakovich
    Costume Designer, NYC/LA
    Stylist NYC/LA
    Tailor
    Costuming/ Fashion Editor
    Master Class, Professional Development,
    Teaching Artist Alliance
    Guest Lecturer
    Costuming for Everyone FB group
    Model Curriculum Framework Project EDTA, NEA/ National Theatre Standards
    Costumer.shirlee@yahoo.com