Open Forum

View Only

need suggestion for a show that includes children

• 1.  need suggestion for a show that includes children

Posted 08-04-2015 11:39

I planned to do Lion King this fall - was going to include the middle school and some elementary kids - I was just told that high schools are not allowed to do the show, period.

Now, I am desperate for ideas. need a show that has separate scenes - sorta like Honk or Jungle Book - where I can have each class/group/school work on a scene, master it, then put them all together and make them work. It needs to have different groups/scenes that dont intermix very much -

any suggestions???

------------------------------
    Darleen Totten
    TX

• 2.  RE: need suggestion for a show that includes children

Posted 08-05-2015 08:46

I am sorry this has happened to you. Beyond my initial rebellious reaction of 'do it anyway' (in a local civic theatre) may I suggest "Seussical the Musical" as an alternate that has roles for younger cast members.

good luck

Warren Kerr
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Auburn School District
    Auburn WA

• 3.  RE: need suggestion for a show that includes children

Posted 08-05-2015 16:21

Every few years I like to incorporate children into our musicals. We have produced Joseph..., The Wiz, Flower Drum Song, and A Christmas Carol. I plan to direct The Wizard of Oz, and Children of Eden in the near future.

Hope this helps!

Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI

• 4.  RE: need suggestion for a show that includes children

Posted 08-05-2015 18:45

Several years ago, we produce School House Rock Live, Jr. and we used high school and middle school students.  The middle school classes were given one song per class to work on.  They were separate from each other, so they didn't have to work together until tech week.  It was very well received and we put over 140 students on stage in one show!! 

Carolyn Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 5.  RE: need suggestion for a show that includes children

Posted 08-06-2015 06:50

SHREK - Younger kids can be the Duloc dancers, rats, towns folk, etc.

Sonja Hansen
    Producer, Director, Choreographer, Dance Teacher
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hansen.Sonja@outlook.com

• 6.  RE: need suggestion for a show that includes children

Posted 08-06-2015 10:34

Schoolhouse Rock Live! could be rehearsed as separate scenes/sections.

Gail Bartell
    Altamonte Springs FL

• 7.  RE: need suggestion for a show that includes children

Posted 08-06-2015 13:39

I just did The Wizard Of Oz last fall as an entire school community production--to celebrate its 75th year and also because Margaret Hamilton graduated from our Upper School (Hathaway Brown School--all girls).  It was magnificent.  We used 2nd thru 6th graders for the Munchkins and young Ozians, used 4th thru 6th as some of the monkeys, and guards...it really worked well.  I have also done Cinderella as a school community production and A Midsummer Night's Dream.  

Molly Cornwell
    Shaker Heights OH

• 8.  RE: need suggestion for a show that includes children

Posted 08-06-2015 16:08

Have you considered doing Big-The Musical. I have wanted to do the show, but I work in a middle school and there isn't enough of difference in the ages or sizes of students to make the adults distinct from the children. I think it would be more successful in your situation. It will also give both your high school and middle school students the opportunity to feature, and shine.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Bronx NY

• 9.  RE: need suggestion for a show that includes children

Posted 08-07-2015 10:13

Try Seussical the Musical! Lots of great characters and it really doesn't matter the age. I had great success with this show as a musical for grades 2-12.

Jamie Hutteman
    Theater Teacher/Director
    Providence Day School
    Charlotte NC

• 10.  RE:need suggestion for a show that includes children

Posted 08-07-2015 12:05
    We do a musical every summer for our kids in the community from pre-k through late teens, so we always have to find shows the little ones can fit into. I'll echo the folks who have already posted by saying we've done Schoolhouse Rock Live, The Wizard of Oz, Seussical, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, and Shrek. The little Mermaid & Beauty & the Beast worked well too. All of these (except Schoolhouse, which is a little different) allowed us to use the children in separate groups, as you're planning to do. They were the Munchkins in Oz, the Whovians in Seussical, the Oompa Loompas in Wonka, etc. If you're feeling really ambitious, a friend of mine did Cats with 60 high schoolers & 140 little kids!

-------------------------------------------
    Jeremy Williams
    Adel GA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 11.  RE: need suggestion for a show that includes children

Posted 08-07-2015 16:05

Hi Darleen, at Beat by Beat Press we have a 60-minute musical called "The Grunch" that has a great blend of parts for middle-school age kids and younger kids. And for the most part they can all be rehearsed separately. It won the 2012 NYC Children's Musical Theatre Festival. 

You can download a free perusal script here to see if it might be a right fit for what you're looking for! There's six videos you can watch too on the "Gallery" tab.

In regards to rehearsing, there are 3 main groups: The Whoover Drama Club (older kids), The Critics, and the Junior Stars (youngest kids). The Critics are completely separate, and the Junior Stars only integrate with the main story briefly.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Denver

Denver Casado
    Arts Educator, Founder/Beat by Beat Press

• 12.  RE: need suggestion for a show that includes children

Posted 08-09-2015 09:17

Joseph and Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,Sound of Music,Shrek,James and the Giant Peach, Little Mermaid,Children of Eden, Suessical, Phantom Toll Booth, Alice in Wonderland, Wizard Oz

Patricia Cheney (Patt)
    Make Up Designer/I.T.S.Troupe 5405 Dir./Head Coach Speech Team
    Oak Park and River Forest High School
    Oak Park IL