Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Activities for trust and rapport in theater class

Posted 08-02-2021 10:05
    Hey gang....what are some of your favorite trust and rapport activities for the classroom? I'm looking to update some of my material this year! Thanks in advance!!!
    Lorie

------------------------------
    Lorie Baldwin
    High School Theater Teacher and Director
    Lawrence High School

• 2.  RE: Activities for trust and rapport in theater class

Posted 08-02-2021 17:21
    I have one that the students like - I call it Landmine. You litter the stage with objects - chairs, tables, props, etc .... Break the class into teams of two or three. Have one student from each team start on one side of the stage - blindfolded - while the rest of the team starts on the other side. The blindfolded student must make it through the stage without touching any of the "landmines" by listening to the directions of their teammates on the other side (Take two steps to your left, move one tiny step forward, etc ...). If they touch any of the "landmines," they have to go back to the start. If you want to increase difficulty, have several teams go at one so that blindfolded students have to pick out their teammates voices among all the voices. This activity works on teamwork and trust. I usually play it before my scene unit or before my one act festival.

Andrew Ballnik
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Lakeridge High School

• 3.  RE: Activities for trust and rapport in theater class

Posted 08-02-2021 20:12
    Thank you Andrew!!!! This activity sounds very cool!!!!

• 4.  RE: Activities for trust and rapport in theater class

Posted 08-04-2021 21:14
      |   view attached
    Lorie, I am attaching a list of beginning activities and games that I used successfully with Theatre I students in high school.  Most of these I collected from fellow members of North Carolina Theatre Arts Educators. 

I always suggest that teachers not play any elimination games early on, as that gives the shy students a way to avoid activities that make them uncomfortable.  This is true even in advanced classes, where the mix of very experienced and minimally experienced students can cause students to freeze up.

Best wishes for a successful year!

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: Activities for trust and rapport in theater class

Posted 08-03-2021 07:14
    If you do not already do these drama games, they are favorites with our students.  They are all ensemble-building, crossing the room initiatives:

• Racing On Chairs (Boal)
      • 5 actors each standing on a chair in a line (front to back) The first chair is empty.
      • Each actor steps to the chair in front, so the last chair is empty.
      • Last actor passes up the chair until it gets to the front.
      • Group will move across the room.
      • (the groups can be bigger and multiple groups can be playing at the same time)

• Crossing the Floor. (this is a non-verbal game- absolutely no talking)
      • Play some music (I usually use lively music)
      • Round 1: One at a time, students cross the room from one side to the other (some "dance", some  move....)
      • Round 2: Once all the students have (solo) crossed the room, each student finds a partner (no talking!) and after agreeing on a way to move across the floor (non verbally) together, each team of two crosses back across the floor.
      • Round 3:  Each team of two finds another team of two and each group of 4 (non-verbally) agrees on a way to move across the floor together.
      • Round 3:  Each team of 4 finds another group of 4 and the group of 8 figures out a way to move across the floor together.
      • After the groups of 8, I usually do the last two rounds with two groups (half the class)  and then the final round is the whole class moving together.
      • Rules:  I always remind students they need to communicate with each other non-verbally and I also have the rule that once somebody has crossed the floor in a certain way (i.e. hopping), it can not be repeated.  Also, I only allow one person (or group) crossing the floor at a time, so the rest of the students can see all the creative and fun choices their classmates are making.

• Getting Across
      • Split a class into smaller groups (I usually have groups of 4-6)
      • Each group is given a collection objects (scarves, poster board, trays, a chair, etc.)
      • Each group must use the objects to get across the room without touching the floor.
      • After each group successfully crosses the floor, I take away an object so students have to strategize and cooperate even more.
      • We play for several rounds, each time taking away an object. Ideally, for the last round there are just 1-2 objects left.
      • Rules:
        • Students can talk to each other (students should talk to each other!)
        • I always (continually) reiterate during the game that it is not a race- each group "wins" if they successfully support all their group members in getting across without touching the floor.
        • Objects have to be things students can stand on......sometimes I have a hula hoop as one of the objects and explain inside the hula hoop is the one place they can touch the floor.
        • Though it is tempting to do some side-coaching, the teacher should not prompt the students on what to do- in conversations with each other students quickly realize they never have enough objects to cross to the other side of the room and they realize they need to pass things up to the front. Part of the value in this game is to allow students to completely decide on the best way to move forward together, without any adult suggestions.
    thanks,  Joanna

Joanna Lewton
    Arts Director
    Capital City Public Charter School
    Washington DC

• 6.  RE: Activities for trust and rapport in theater class

Posted 08-03-2021 08:19
    Thank you Joanna!!! These activities sound awesome!!! Can't wait to try them!!!

Lorie Baldwin
    High School Theater Teacher and Director
    Lawrence High School

• 7.  RE: Activities for trust and rapport in theater class

Posted 08-03-2021 11:50
    One of the best rapport builders I have used in the last few years is an escape room. I created one theatre themed based on a few Pinterest posts. It's fun! It give the kids a chance to work together and solve a problem, and gives me a chance to see how they work together, and who has what skills. 
    It only works for me with a group of 12 or fewer. 

--
    Hillary Bogers, MEd
    she/her/hers
    Theatre Director
    Jack Britt High School
    910-429-2800

In Cumberland County Schools we practice and require the three W's: 
    Wear a mask. Wait 6 feet from others. Wash your hands.

This email is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this email to the intended recipient, any disclosure, re-transmission, copying, or reliance on the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the person transmitting the correspondence immediately. All email correspondence to and from this email may be subject to disclosure to any third party upon request, including the media. It shall not be necessary to disclose: 1) Email correspondence which does not constitute a Public Record as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1 or; 2) a public record which is exempt from disclosure under other applicable State or Federal law.

• 8.  RE: Activities for trust and rapport in theater class

Posted 08-04-2021 14:18
    The Escape Room: (most of the puzzles and docs I made are stuck on my school computer, it has died R.I.P.) 
    This is my pinterest board that I started with: https://pin.it/6FMe4z8

I created my storyline- We're doing Wizard of OZ, a crazy chorus member has stolen the scripts and will only give them back once they are named lead actor and everyone in the group has signed the contract. this started with me giving the group a ransom note that leads them to a key. The key opens a lock box with puzzle pieces, the back of the puzzle leads to a combination lock that has a contract in it. They all sign then they need to find the scripts and exchange the signed contract with the scripts to escape. They find a small clue with the contract that leads to 3 more lines of poetry- inside balloons, then they have to find another key that opens a closet and there are the scripts.

Then I planned out the puzzles for them.  I tried to make the combination safe that is in the pinterest board, but my lock making skills are not what that project needed. I used the balloon, cardboard cryptex, and ideas from several of the how-to posts in the pinterest board. Use what works for you and your space!

I'm mentally developing one that has one of each theatre element in it: script, costumes, set, props, marketing. I think this could be an awesome project!

--
    Hillary Bogers, MEd
    she/her/hers
    Theatre Director
    Jack Britt High School
    910-429-2800

In Cumberland County Schools we practice and require the three W's: 
    Wear a mask. Wait 6 feet from others. Wash your hands.

This email is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this email to the intended recipient, any disclosure, re-transmission, copying, or reliance on the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the person transmitting the correspondence immediately. All email correspondence to and from this email may be subject to disclosure to any third party upon request, including the media. It shall not be necessary to disclose: 1) Email correspondence which does not constitute a Public Record as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1 or; 2) a public record which is exempt from disclosure under other applicable State or Federal law.