Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Experience with Avenue Q?

Posted 12-10-2019 10:05
    Has anyone done Avenue Q School Edition that can share their experiences? I have questions and concerns about content, casting and ensemble possibilities. If anyone can help I would be grateful. In producing this show, did you encounter pushback from the administration, community, or students regarding the content? What were the concerns and how did you handle it? In casting, how much did you consider the ethnicity of the actor in relation to the ethnicity of the puppet- specifically in the casting of Kate Monster. The other puppet characters are pretty open, but I feel the song "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist" has a different connotation depending on the ethnicity of the actor singing it....OR will audiences suspend disbelief and accept that it is the "puppet's" experience not the "actor's"? Also interested in anything that directors have done to more include the ensemble. And finally have any schools in or near NJ done this show?  Any and all comments are appreciated. Thank you!!!

------------------------------
    Kerry Bollenbach
    theatre teacher/director
    Barnegat NJ

• 2.  RE: Experience with Avenue Q?

Posted 12-11-2019 13:27
    Hi, Kerry--once you've gathered general thoughts from the wonderful colleagues on this forum, and if you've decided to move forward, feel free to reach out with any puppet -or puppetry-specific questions you might have.  I'd be happy to support you in any way I can with resources, advice, puppet coaching, info about that aspect of the show.

Best,

Aretta Baumgartner
    Education Director
    Center for Puppetry Arts
    Atlanta, GA
    www.puppet.org
    arettabaumgartner@puppet.org

• 3.  RE: Experience with Avenue Q?

Posted 12-13-2019 10:09
    Thank you!!! If we proceed, I will definitely be in touch!

Kerry Bollenbach
    theatre teacher/director
    Barnegat NJ

• 4.  RE: Experience with Avenue Q?

Posted 12-11-2019 14:23
    I did Avenue Q as soon as the High School Edition became available and I loved every second! So did my audiences. I sold out all performances and there were zero complaints. There is an optional swap out for the erection song, but I did not choose that option. Honestly, once Chip starts throwing candy, all lyrics get ignored. 

I teach at an extremely diverse school so ethnicity isn't generally a problem. One of my Vietnamese students played Christmas Eve and Gary Coleman was played by an African American boy instead of a girl - these roles are the most important ones to get right, IMHO so I'm not sure what concerns you regarding Kate Monster. Is it just because of this one song that she takes lead on? Incidentally, in my production, Kate was played by a Filipina. But honestly, the puppets themselves are the ones the audience should be focused on when they're on stage and not the puppeteers. Yes, the actors can be seen, but it's all in how the puppetry is done.

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    San Jose CA

• 5.  RE: Experience with Avenue Q?

Posted 12-13-2019 10:11
    Thank you for the insight! I am glad to hear you had a good experience with the show!

Kerry Bollenbach
    theatre teacher/director
    Barnegat NJ

• 6.  RE: Experience with Avenue Q?

Posted 12-16-2019 09:22
    The AQ Student Addition is very well written. It does't lose the humor with the changes in the lyrics.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 7.  RE: Experience with Avenue Q?

Posted 12-18-2019 20:38
      |   view attached
    Hi Kerry,

We did Avenue Q School Edition a few years ago and had a great experience. We had complete support from our school and district, and the show attracted a wide range of community members. 

I would suggest putting a warning on your flier and in your PR materials so anyone who brings younger kids has the opportunity to ask about content.

We had the puppets early in the rehearsal process-which I would suggest. Thanks to many EdTA and Broadway teacher workshops I was able to give the kids a basic understanding of the puppetry process.

We were fortunate to have Bobby Lopez attend one of our dress rehearsals. It was the first time he had seen the School Edition and he was pleasantly surprised how much of the humor from the original show was intact. Attaching a photo of him with our cast/directing team.

Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.

Krista Carson Elhai
    CA Educational Theatre Association, Past President
    CA Thespians Director of Membership & New Teacher Outreach
    Theatre Chair Claremont HS
    An International Baccalaureate World School
    Claremont CA

• 8.  RE: Experience with Avenue Q?

Posted 12-19-2019 07:34
    Thank you Krista! Your production looks like it was wonderful! What a great experience for your kids, and for Bobby Lopez! Thanks for the feedback.

Kerry Bollenbach
    theatre teacher/director
    Barnegat NJ