Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Plays for 9 characters

Posted 09-17-2020 20:55
    Hi all, 

My high school's desire for us to start out the year with a large cast show has been dashed by the arrival of only 9 students at the auditions. I have 7 female and 2 male actors. 3 Black students and 1 Asian student. I want to do something that addresses their diversity and exceptional talent. If there are multiple shorter suggestions that is also welcome. Anything to keep our little theatre group going. 

Thank you,

------------------------------
    Claire Federhofer
    Huron High School
    Ann Arbor MI

• 2.  RE: Plays for 9 characters

Posted 09-18-2020 13:46
    I would probably look for something in which they could each play multiple roles. Maybe consider a play by Anna Deveare Smith?

• 3.  RE: Plays for 9 characters

Posted 09-18-2020 14:43
    You might look at "Selfie" by Bradley Hayward. It's a really good play with lots of flexibility.

Frieda Gebert
    Drama and Speech
    Boyle County Schools (Retired)
    Danville, KY

• 4.  RE: Plays for 9 characters

Posted 09-18-2020 17:42
    Hi Claire,

The play "Almost Maine" might be a good choice for your group.  The play has multiple scenes that offer a varied content from comedy to drama, from new paths to missed opportunities.  One actor/actress can play many roles, and some characters can be male or female.  You might take a look at the play.  I've seen it performed in several different manners.

Best of luck,

Mack 

--
    Mack Dugger
    Teacher
    Department of Teaching and Learning
    Pacific Avenue Education Center
    440 W. Lomita Ave., Glendale, CA 91204
    "Totus Mundus agit historionem"
    Bravo award winning Teacher
    Kennedy Center Creative Ticket Award
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

• 5.  RE: Plays for 9 characters

Posted 09-19-2020 09:05
    I love Almost, Maine, especially for something on the light side. There are several versions of Frankenstein around that have variable characters also, which could accommodate a diverse cast.

Jean Klein
    Playwriting Teacher in MFA program, Wilkes University]
    Virginia BeachVA

• 6.  RE: Plays for 9 characters

Posted 09-19-2020 09:50
    Another play a lot like Almost Maine, but not done as often, is Our Place. It has lots heart, funny, sad, big range. It also has a silent part for an older man so if you have a popular teacher or coach who would agree to perform (no lines to memorize!) It would be good for PR. Also it can be rehearsed in small groups for the most part.

• 7.  RE: Plays for 9 characters

Posted 09-21-2020 10:53
    None of these address the topic of diversity, but would fit the numbers: Women of Lockerbie and These Shining Lives. If you want something deep and disturbing, look at Five Kinds of Silence - it deals with domestic violence, but it requires a cast that is willing to deal with a very serious topic.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 8.  RE: Plays for 9 characters

Posted 09-22-2020 23:09
    Claire, your potential cast reminded me of a play I've been planning to read for a few years, The Story by Tracey Scott Wilson.  Dramatists has the rights.  Not having read or seen it, the only things I can say for sure are that it would match your numbers and meets your diversity needs.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC

• 9.  RE: Plays for 9 characters

Posted 09-23-2020 08:44
    I love the Play "The Dining Room." You can do this entire play with limited characters, and do the scenes you want, or do the entire play. You can certainly cast diverse students, as the family changes over the years with every generation. AND it uses only one set for the entire show! Break a Leg!

Suzanne "Mama" Craig
    MS/HS Theatre/Speech
    Lipscomb Academy
    Nashville, TN
    Suzanne.Craig@Lipscomb.Edu

• 10.  RE: Plays for 9 characters

Posted 09-24-2020 08:54
    Regarding The Dining Room, it's worth mentioning that just because the script makes it clear that all of the characters are white people living in New England between 1880ish and 1980ish, that does not mean that the actors have to present as that ethnicity.

One lovely aspect of the play is that there are more than 50 characters, some of whom show up in more than one play. The original cast was six, and they played all different ages. The way we work today, that cast could play a variety of ages and genders.

Nathan Rosen
    Atholton High School
    theatre teacher/director
    Columbia, MD USA