Open Forum

Β View Only

Admission

• 1.  Admission

Posted 05-26-2021 19:27
    Hi, friends! My school (Waverly High School) is evaluating the admission charge for shows, and I am tasked with finding out what other schools do. Can you share with me the cost of admission and any discounts (senior citizens, kids under a certain age, student with activities passes, teachers, etc) that you offer? Please and thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Admission

Posted 05-27-2021 06:48
    Pre-pandemic:
    Nonmusicals:  $6 presale/$8 at the door
    Musicals: $8 presale/$10 at the door

Next Year:
    Nonmusicals: $8 presale/$10 at the door
    Musicals: $10 presale/$14 at the door

Seniors always pay the presale price because not all s dips are good with technology.  Also, our students have the opportunity to buy presale tickets at lunc the week of the show for the presale price, so they pay the at the door price if they don't buy early.  All other students get to always pay the presale price.  I hope that's not too confusing!

My prices were slated to go up this year even before the pandemic.  I had researched other area schools and found our prices were lower than everyone else's.

On top of that I have to give free tickets to all people in our collective bargaining unit (it's in their contract) and their families.  I extend that voluntarily to all school employees (because people in the CBA make more than the rest of the staff, and I feel it's discriminatory not to).  As a result, my profits on shows are VERY slim.

Hope this helps!

Ray

------------------------------
    Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Munster High School

• 3.  RE: Admission

Posted 05-28-2021 08:45
    A few years back we started having a "Pay what you can" policy for all our performances (theater and dance) and it has worked well.  We had become concerned because we were only seeing some of our families in the audiences and we wanted equitable access for all.  It has worked well; we have full houses, we are seeing more whole families attending, and we actually take in more ticket money than when we had prices for admission.  I think families who can are stepping up and paying quite a bit, and families who might not be able to do this are still paying what they can.

Joanna Lewton
    Arts Director
    Capital City Public Charter School
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Admission

Posted 05-28-2021 14:54
    Thank you! I love the idea of selling tickets at lunch!

Kristen Friesen
    Director of Theatre
    Waverly High School

• 5.  RE: Admission

Posted 05-27-2021 07:23
    For plays, we typically charge $15 and discount to $13 for seniors and students.  For musicals, we typically charge $17 and discount to $15 for seniors and students.

Scott Usher
    Hartland High School

• 6.  RE: Admission

Posted 05-28-2021 14:55
    Thanks, that's quite a jump from where we are but also seemingly the trend. Thanks for the input!

Kristen Friesen
    Director of Theatre
    Waverly High School

• 7.  RE: Admission

Posted 05-27-2021 11:49
    My school only does straight plays (with an occasional musical) and we do not charge admission at all, with the idea that to encourage kids to see theatre, we don't want to make it a hardship. Granted, we are a private school, so parents do pay tuition, so we also don't want to nickel and dime them for every little performance. So, we get a big audience for every production!

• 8.  RE: Admission

Posted 05-28-2021 16:23
    That was a bit more my reality when I taught at a private school, so I get it. Thank you!

Kristen Friesen
    Director of Theatre
    Waverly High School

• 9.  RE: Admission

Posted 05-27-2021 13:04
    In the past, we charged:

for non-musicals

$8 for students and senior citizens (student = anyone 18 or younger, senior = 65+)
    $10 general admission

for musicals, add $2 for each.

Going forward, we will be charging (for all shows):

$10 for students and senior citizens (student = anyone 18 or younger, senior = 65+)
    $12 general admission

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kamiakin High School

• 10.  RE: Admission

That's super helpful! Thank you!

Kristen Friesen
    Director of Theatre
    Waverly High School

• 11.  RE: Admission

Posted 05-29-2021 10:50
    We used to have a variety of ticket prices: musical, straight play, presale" at door. A few years back when we move to "Seat Yourself" we made all tickets $10, for dance and music concerts as well. This really simplified the process. We do give one free ticket to faculty/staff, which boosts attendance and often they bring a guest and pay for that one.
    Mary Mitchell-Donahue
    Bishop McNamara High School
    Forestville, MD

• 12.  RE: Admission

Posted 05-27-2021 13:18
    We give all staff 2 passes (for their personal attendance) for any show. We don't discount musicals except for advance  online purchase. All seats are $10 online and $15 at the door. Actually this has helped TREMENDOUSLY in filling seats! I would never have thought that---but advance purchase online was a real boost.

Ginnie Bullis
    Teacher
    C. Milton Wright High School

• 13.  RE: Admission

Posted 05-28-2021 14:33
    Seat Yourself been selling school theatre tickets online for over 10 years, with about 8 million tickets sold over that period. The average ticket price we saw for all of 2019 was about $11, which was fairly consistent with what we believe we saw earlier. We can't break it down between plays and musicals, but we should note that well over half the price schemes we see have cheaper prices for Seniors and Students and matinees, which means that the full Adult price is higher than that $11 average.

David Lichtenstein
    secretary

• 14.  RE: Admission

Thank you! 😊

Kristen Friesen
    Director of Theatre
    Waverly High School

• 15.  RE: Admission

Yes, we did staff passes, too; and that was very popular! We'll continue that for sure!

Kristen Friesen
    Director of Theatre
    Waverly High School